• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

05 Escape, Worth it?

ArtSvt

CEG'er
Just asked someone today at a local junkyard about a 3.0 and they said they had one from a 05 Escape with 9,000 miles for a grand. Im not planning on swapping anything right away, just curious on what you guys think. I didnt ask any other info about it, just curious would it be worth it if its in good shape or over priced?

Considering people are getting a grand for SVT engines with 51k on them I would say its really worth it. Its about as new as you can get with the escape 3L and not run into problems with the water pump running off the exhaust cam (06+ MY)

I got my 3L long block with 2k miles for only 350 shipped...it was from a taurus...but wooppeee! I would say that's overpriced.

I got my 3L long block with 2k miles for only 350 shipped...it was from a taurus...but wooppeee! I would say that's overpriced.

350-500 is the going rate on a 3L
A shop would pay 1k, only because they can transfer that cost to the consumer

No, Taurus engines are all over the damn place. Thats why you can steal them for 400 or less.

Escape engines are different (tabs etc) and there are probably less of them so they cost more!

and regarding swaps, the escape motor is supposed to have better rings for boost or so ive read

Is there any differences from the Escape to the Mercury Mariner 3.0?

And Ive read that there are extra parts you would need to buy for the Taurus to work (oil pan, etc.) so Id rather get the most complete package at once to save some hassle..:shrug:

So considering you can get a Taurus 3.0 cheaper, what would be all the added cost of the extras you would need to buy that you would not need to buy with an Escape 3.0? Would still be that big of a difference in the end?

I think its still cheaper to get a taurus motor. that being said, I have an escape 3.0. You can use the escape timing cover, escape pan (which is the 'improved' one). there is one ear in the back to trim for the SVT oil cooler, and the obvious alternator ones. Im also not sure if the taurus engine mount works, but know that the escape one does. The mariner should be the same 3.0, Rob(?) the turbo 3 liter in the classifieds has a tribute motor which is the mazda variant of the escape.

And ill tell ya now, if you use the escape timing cover, you dont have to swap the pulse wheel around :blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye:

I think its still cheaper to get a taurus motor. that being said, I have an escape 3.0. You can use the escape timing cover, escape pan (which is the 'improved' one). there is one ear in the back to trim for the SVT oil cooler, and the obvious alternator ones. Im also not sure if the taurus engine mount works, but know that the escape one does. The mariner should be the same 3.0, Rob(?) the turbo 3 liter in the classifieds has a tribute motor which is the mazda variant of the escape.

And ill tell ya now, if you use the escape timing cover, you dont have to swap the pulse wheel around :blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye:

Way to figure this out after the fact ass nugget.

Nice one Alex. That SUX!

I just got my motor back in on the weekend. I should have it running tonight. Had to put a Stage 3 clutch in it so I HOPE I did everything right and that I will be cranking out big numbers on Friday. We'll see!

Yeah, it was my fault for assuming anything. I didnt read enough, I though I had but alot of the info is pretty scattered.

I'm not too upset because I'm pretty sure it needs to come out anyway due to a leaky slave cylinder. Just burned out on contours right now, after SZ I'll be renewed and I can try (with some [alot] help) to get everything sorted out!

Stazi you still owe me a ride in the car, I'll be expecting it this weekend :laugh:

I have a line on a low mileage 05 Mariner 3.0 liter. There's a note on it about "NoFitEarlyModel". So, that makes me slightly worried. Like, maybe the mariner got the 2006 motor early?

Also, if you search carpart.com for a 2004 3.0L escape motor, you get 2001-2004, but no 2005. If you search 2005, you get 2005 and that's it. So, that makes me worried that the
interchange. Has anyone swapped a 2005 Mariner into a contour?

Nevermind. 2005 Escape and Mariner are the same engine and both have an incompatible timing cover. I have the motor, and I'm using it, but I have to use the 2.5 tc.

Back