• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anyone up for drags this Sat. at PIR?

GrooveNerd

CEG'er
Near The People's Republic of Portland, OR
Anyone wanna meet up at PIR this Saturday evening? Should be nice weather. :cool:

In other news, I just replaced my A/C condenser tonight, as well as my power steering cooler. I still need to replace the lower grille, the A/C accumulator and recharge the system, but at least I can drive the car again! Yay! Hopefully I can wash the thing this Saturday, 'cause its just nasty dirty... :blackeye:

Marty

Even with Saturday's "slight chance of an afternoon shower" the track should be dry by 6 or 7 pm...

Marty, as it stands at 7 am on Saturday, I figure I'm better than 50/50 on going to PIR tonite, a friend and son are interested in going to check it out.

Not sure yet whether I'd race if I go.

Post again if you're pretty sure you'll be there.

As of now I'm planning on going, but not racing, as well. I'm going out to wash my car as soon as I get off here. I called a friend of mine too, but I'm not sure if she'll be able to make it. Hopefully this intermittent rain will be finished later this afternoon. Anyone else coming?

Marty

I've got to get my fuel pump replaced, but if I can get it done soon, I'd definitely be up for some late night fun. I haven't been down since I sold my turbo Miata a couple years ago, and miss it. I'll get my butt handed to me most of the time, but that's ok.

I've got to get my fuel pump replaced, but if I can get it done soon, I'd definitely be up for some late night fun. I haven't been down since I sold my turbo Miata a couple years ago, and miss it. I'll get my butt handed to me most of the time, but that's ok.

Hey, welcome to CEG! :cool: What year/model of the car do you have? Nice screen-name too -- LOL!

Yeah, hopefully the weather'll cooperate one of these weekends and we can have a meet there. It's still fun to go, even if you don't win every time.

Marty

Hehe, AngryRedTicTac was actually my Miatas name, and it fit very well.

I've got an 00 SE Sport V6 5spd, we've had it for about 3 years now. I wanted an SVT of course, but my wife wiped out her piece of crap 00 Jetta (Hallelujah!!!!!), and we had to get a car immediately. There was only one SVT for sale within a couple hundred miles, and the kid was expecting to get the 3k back out of the stereo he'd put in it. It was still for sale 6 months later......

I used to frequent PIR late nights, I had a big angry bellowing 455 4spd Trans Am that turned high 12s on crappy BFG TA radials, when it would hook up anyway. Which meant basically never. That's why late nights were nice, since bracket racing it was a joke. The Miata didn't get to play too often, it was only a low 14 car anyway, and it was built for track detail, not drag racing. Then again, how many Miatas are built for the drags?

I just got the Contour from my wife a month ago, I'd been driving a Volvo 960 wagon since our son was born a couple years ago. We got her a Mazda5, which is just about the best little thing ever, now that our second is on the way. One way or another I was going to have a manual again, it just worked nicely that I got the Contour and she got a 5 spd 5. Now I just have to decide whether to dump more money into the SE or just get an SVT.

Welcome to CEG. I already think you have great taste in vehicles. I drive a CSVT & my wife drives a Mazda5. We wanted a 5 the first time we saw one.

Anyway, back on subject. I agree with Marty, the late night drags are a good time & it's been one of the few events that we can get a decent group to show up for. I look forward to meeting you soon.

-Aaron

I will be camping this weekend so I'm out. If you guys do get together though, I hope you have a good time & don't forget to take pictures.

-Aaron

Mike: Which Chang's location are you maybe taking your friend to? You're planning to be at that Chang's when and at PIR when?

Have you found an upper radiator hose yet?

IF it does NOT look to sprinkle on Saturday night, I am VERY psyched about going racing (so much for self-control) and interested in inviting a friend or two along to go to PIR and maybe even bringing them to meet up at Chang's beforehand. It's time for a friend's son to experience the joys of applied physics: smell/sounds of burn-outs, nitrous purges, blowers, turbos, big cube monster motors, open headers spewing octane flames after dark, wrinkle wall slicks, and maybe even snow-mobiles outfit with tires burning model airplane fuel... Maybe I'm the kid, to get excited about that stuff.

Damn Pat for selling his Cobra before I got a chance to try out his line-lock.

Oh, and thanks for that autocheck item. That will come in really handy helping prove someone became registered owner of that car at literally the same time he picked up his liability coverage for it. Because of ORS 31.715, that's a big issue for clients with insurance that lapsed later on.

I'm thinking Changs about 5:00pm tonight, then straight to the races. That's the Jantzen Beach location...close to the track! No upper radiator hose yet, so unfortunately the SVT is at home. I might bring the Malibu out on the track just for the hell of it. Even if I don't I'll be there.

In the mean time I'm looking around for that hose here in town. More likely to have it in stock down here.

I'll plan to try finding that Chang's at about 5:00 pm then.

Groovenerd, when/where will we be seeing you?

Wow, that was like an actual turn out! We have to do this again soon. The lines to race thinned out to next to nothing by 10:30 pm, I got in some later runs that made up for the horrible first two, even beat something new and shiny on my last run. My 60' times were poor in both lanes, but somehow still 'felt' much faster in the left lane. Marty, I may pm you an address and beg for a couple of your shots from tonight.

That's great! What was your best time?

I felt the turnout at the track was pretty poor. I'm used to it being lined up to hell and back! Strangely no exotics, but some pretty cool bracket racers...and that 11 second Evo! That thing would scoot!

Great seeing you again PDX and GNerd. I'll be back for the weekend following the 4th of July, hopefully with the beast Monte Carlo I was talking about. My SVT should be back up by then as well. Grudge match!

Mike: my 60' times were horrible, all 2.5+ with my being too aggressive with non-gripping tires. Because of bad starts and slooooow shifts, I was OK w/ a 15.8 @ 90.0 mph. Light wt. wheels and drag radials would help, along with an improved driver mod.

Yeah, it was good seeing everyone again. After my first run in the Capri (17.867 @ 76.28), with the clutch slipping in all but first gear, I did get some better times. My best time was 16.761 @ 84.48, and my best speed was 85.08 with a 16.877. I couldn't ride the clutch while shifting, or it would just keep slipping. :( I need to work on launching better, too. Oh well, it was still fun! And, other than a run with a missed 1-2 shift, my times got better each pass.

The last 3 runs or so, I didn't even have a wait time that made it worthwhile to put up my hood while waiting -- there were only 3-5 cars ahead of me in my lane, so that was pretty cool. Sure beats having tons of people to wait for.

We should plan on a drag meet one of these weekends. We also need to pick a weekend for a cruise/picnic/BBQ or something this summer too.

Marty

Back