• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Scraping Noise

SloTour

CEG'er
Ok, when I first got my contour my (from what I was told) grandmother backed into something and shoved the exhaust up. They straightinged it out and when I had the car last summer it did the same thing with people in the back. The rear end would (when I hit a bump or pothole or anything in the road) sound like the exhaust was hitting the ground. A scraping noise.

Now, during the winter and fall I had taken off the aluminum wheels (my g-ma had curbchecked a stock rim and it was cheaper to get all 4 new wheels) and put steelies on there with a 195/75/14 tire. With that, no matter how many bumps I hit, it would not scrape.

Now, last few weeks I put the old wheels back on (after painting) with a 20/65/15 tire. It scrapes on just about everything now. I am not sure whats going on, we had the exhaust pulled back out about an inch and a half. It still does it, I have gotten underneath and shoke everything around, pushed the car up and down. Nothing. I was thinkin of getting underneather and having someone rock the car.

If something is really scraping there should be some kind of mark on something. Is something rubbing the rim?

Back