• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Just among many projects

ZeroHour

Mod/Salad Tosser
I'm coming close to being due for tires, and I really want to upgrade to something other then my 15" se 8 spokes. As of right now I'm just trying to get a good price estimate of how much I need to save.

The info:
Car is on Koni Sport springs.

I've been debating on 16s and 17s for a while, and if I have enough cash I will go with 17s without a second thought.

I just want to double check what sidewall height are good on 17s without rub? 40? or 45?

16s are a 45 or 50 sidewall (correct me I'm wrong).

Also (this will sound dumb) but does anyone know of an economical way of getting 17s and tires? I.e. Not spending 1k. I'm looking at getting an All season/performace all season tire.

Also any tires/rims to avoid would be a nice heads up.

TIA :cool:

Talk to Luke at tire rack see if they still have the svt tuner wheels on sale.

And it depends on the offset of your wheels and what width tire you go with on what profile you need.

For 17"s you're generally safe with 215/45, though 225/45 almost always works fine or just requires a little fender massaging.

For 16"s I think 215/50 or 225/50 is cool.

I run 225/45/17 and 225/50/16 and have some rubbing with both but after cutting the fender it ain't too bad and I can probably do a little more cutting and get it completely gone.

I got my rims with tires for $840 with insurance from Town fair Tire. I know a little pricey for what you want but they were great.

Free alignment, rotations every 5000mi, and they take them off in the winter. They also balance them.

Thanks kremit. I looked on ebay before but no one ever lists rims to find a Contour. lol At least what I found was limited.

Anyone have suggestions on tires? Opinions either way would be good ie tires to buy/avoid.

Tire rack has these:
Kumho ECSTA AST
Fuzion HRi
Sumitomo HTR+
Kumho ECSTA ASX
Dunlop SP Sport A2 Plus
Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Asymmetrical
Yokohama AVID H4S

I won't nessacarily buy from tirerack, I would like to get a good well known tire and I'll buy them wherever I can get them cheaper, that list is just some tires with a decent price range.

Thanks again.

I'd get a summer tire and slap some stock wheels with snow tires on when needed. Most all seasons aren't too fun. Though i've heard good things about falken ziex 512s and jim (tourdeforce) really liked the avon all seasons he got.

Back