• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Why you use an OEM TOB

todras

Pretty fly for a white guy *cowbell*
Helped Pudmunkie do a motor swap this last w/e. The guy who rebuilt the trans decided to replace the seal in the TOB. Well guess what? He did a **** job and the seal blew out right away. This is why you use an OEM TOB everytime!!!! For $100 it sure as hell saves you from having to pull the entire lump again!!!!! On top of that it will blow hyd. fluid all over your nice clutch too. Hopefully Alex's just pissing down the bellhousing! All that work again on a $100 part.:nonono: Don't even ask me why the guy had to touch the TOB since it had 1000 miles on it!

Are the SPEC TOBs for the MTX-75 the cheap plastic kind? I have only had experience with SPEC T5 TOBs and have learned my lesson from that.

im praying its just jizzing down the side of the case, but have a feeling its squirting like a hooker.

Im pretty disheartend, the slave only had 1000 odd miles on it, and the trans guy told me he dicked with it the day of the swap. I didnt really think anything of it until I pressed in the clutch and saw it streaming out of the case.

On a side note, the motor has still not fired and im not sure why. If the world doesnt hate me, the motor will fire and ill drop the trans out of the bottom. If for some twisted act of god the motor is bunk im going to flip out and the car will probably sit forever

:cry:

WRONG. The seal that Liberty replaced on Pud's SLAVE CYLINDER was the inner seal at the input shaft, and is completely seperate from the area that contains brake fluid, which is what is leaking from Pud's car. Most likely the boot or some other portion of the slave cylinder was damaged during installation, but we won't know until it comes out.

And please people, stop referring to the clutch slave cylinder as the throw-out bearing. The slave cylinder does have the throwout bearing attached to it, but the major component is the slave cylinder.

Correct. Also put some tape wround the splines to protect the slave from rips.

doh, not that I need it right now but when I ordered my SVT clutch kit the roll restrictors when put in the clutch box and one knicked the boot on the slave cylinder ...

WRONG. The seal that Liberty replaced on Pud's SLAVE CYLINDER was the inner seal at the input shaft, and is completely seperate from the area that contains brake fluid, which is what is leaking from Pud's car. Most likely the boot or some other portion of the slave cylinder was damaged during installation, but we won't know until it comes out.

Wrong. The input shaft seal fits in the rear of the slave that is only staked into the alum. housing. Easy to dislodge the staked part when changing that seal. The pic is the part in question from a stripped down slave. Fitting that seal has caused the hydraulic leak...easily done. The only safe way to renew the input shaft oil seal is to bolt the slave back onto a dummy trans housing(without the shaft fitted) then lever out the old seal and drive in a new one. This stops any chance of the staked 'sandwich' construction of the slave being 'pulled apart' and disrupting the staked end that has a hydraulic seal 'O' ring under it. Suggest you check the Ford blueprints. BTW the green or brown boot is just a dust boot to stop crap ripping up the inner slave seal that runs on the tube part of the pic.

Terry said he can bring an opened up slave along to SZ just so you can see it first hand and the fact that a poorly changed input shaft seal can cause a hydraulic leak.

THE BOOT WAS NOT DAMAGED UPON INSTALLATION Brian! I have installed many of these w/o issue and know how to do it.

standard.jpg

Wrong. The input shaft seal fits in the rear of the slave that is only staked into the alum. housing. Easy to dislodge the staked part when changing that seal. The pic is the part in question from a stripped down slave.

Fitting a seal and damaging the housing are two seperate things. Is it possible to damage the housing while changing the seal? Sure, but it doesn't change the fact that that seal doesn't actually seal any portion of the slave cylinder that contains brake fluid.

Fitting that seal has caused the hydraulic leak...easily done. The only safe way to renew the input shaft oil seal is to bolt the slave back onto a dummy trans housing(without the shaft fitted) then lever out the old seal and drive in a new one. This stops any chance of the staked 'sandwich' construction of the slave being 'pulled apart' and disrupting the staked end that has a hydraulic seal 'O' ring under it.

The seal was replaced by an experienced transaxle mechanic; is it possible he screwed up? Sure, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until its taken apart to see what really happened.

Suggest you check the Ford blueprints. BTW the green or brown boot is just a dust boot to stop crap ripping up the inner slave seal that runs on the tube part of the pic.

That's why I said boot or other portion, because it apparently wasn't leaking immediately. If the boot was damaged and foreign material got inside, it could have damaged the inner seal during the bleed process.

Terry said he can bring an opened up slave along to SZ just so you can see it first hand and the fact that a poorly changed input shaft seal can cause a hydraulic leak.

I know what the slave cylinder looks like, I've got two of them sitting at home. And like I said, there is a difference between changing a seal, and changing it poorly. Last time I checked, there is more than one guy on the planet that is capable of working on the MTX-75 successfully, and its a little arrogant to assume otherwise. Maybe he did damage the housing, but maybe he didn't, and someone else did . . . right now, there is no evidence visible, and there may never be conclusive evidence anyway. There were a lot of hands involved with that trans; the slave cylinder could have been damaged by any one of them unknowingly.

THE BOOT WAS NOT DAMAGED UPON INSTALLATION Brian! I have installed many of these w/o issue and know how to do it.

I wasn't there, and didn't see how it went, but I still don't think you can say that unequivocally, the way I heard it, the trans didn't just slip right on all buttery smooth. Either way, It's not like it would be the only thing that got screwed up on Pud's car during this swap; The engine has to come out anyway now because the timing jumped on it.

Last edited:
Fitting a seal and damaging the housing are two seperate things. Is it possible to damage the housing while changing the seal? Sure, but it doesn't change the fact that that seal doesn't actually seal any portion of the slave cylinder that contains brake fluid.

....that that seal doesn't actually seal any portion of the slave cylinder that contains brake fluid....Correct,but the part of the slave that it is pressed into DOES.!!..Pry on that housing and remove it from the ally part and you expose the 'O' ring seal....

Back