• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

wet sanded my fogs

SVTJON87

Hard-core CEG'er
i wet sanded my fog lights and then used plastix. its truly amazing how perfect they look. now i have seen alot of people say you need to put a clear coat on them after so they will not haze again. my question is should i use adhesion promoter? I'm kinda afraid that the promoter will make my fogs less clear as it dulls the part you spray it on. Ive never used it for a clear application. will the clear coat make it all better after the promoter? thanks guys. here are some pics of my fogs.

they look wayyyy better in person!

Before:
P1010139.jpg

after:
P1010138.jpg

beforeandafter.jpg

Last edited:
Yes they look great don't they! I did the same thing when I sanded & polished my headlights. I looked at my fogs and thought they looked pretty bad too. After using 800-2000 grit and some 3M polish... huge difference.

but i want to put a clear coat on them. and i know i need to use adhesion promoter. but will the adhesion promoter make them less clear? as it dulls that part you spay it with. or will the clear coat on top make it all better?

you know what, i happen to have a clear sheet of lex-an! I'm going to go test it out.

UPDATE:the test went well. its clear but its not perfectly clear. you would never notice on the fogs as you cant see through them anyway.

Last edited:
You shouldn't need an adhesion promoter PROVIDED that the clear you use has MEKs in it: Methyl Ethyl Keytones. Read the fine print on the back. MEKs are an oil based solvent. Since your lenses are an oil-based plastic, any paint with MEKs in it will adhere pretty well. Rustoleum will work for you better than Krylon. Most Krylon sold in WalMart is pretty light on the kind of solvents you need.

As with any paint job, make sure your surface is prepped, and do a final wipe with Acetone before you spray.

Looks good, I'm about to do this tomorrow. Do you have any pics with the lexan? How did you attach it? I was thinking of using plexiglass over mine but I could never find a temperature rating for the plexi or a temp output from the fogs.

Looks good, I'm about to do this tomorrow. Do you have any pics with the lexan? How did you attach it? I was thinking of using plexiglass over mine but I could never find a temperature rating for the plexi or a temp output from the fogs.

hahah no the lexan was just to test for how clear it would look with a clear coat on it.

my one problem is on one fog light the adjuster screw broke in half and the new screw is not catching the threads so I'm going to have to find one of those Little metal clips and a new screw. so now one fog is pointing way down. i think ACE has them. also my lights are brighter and whiter!

Back