• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2.5L Destruction

SHOgoFast

Hard-core CEG'er
This is what remains of my grenaded 2.5L....enjoy.

2pt5litredestruction048gj0.jpg

2pt5litredestruction047ob3.jpg

2pt5litredestruction046ay8.jpg

2pt5litredestruction045gx2.jpg

2pt5litredestruction044rt0.jpg

2pt5litredestruction039pb4.jpg

2pt5litredestruction040zy3.jpg

2pt5litredestruction041iw6.jpg

2pt5litredestruction042pt4.jpg

2pt5litredestruction043rh3.jpg

Last edited:
Not really sure the initial cause... I was going kinda fast (Pm for exact figure) with high RPMs (~7000). AFR stayed golden (<13:1), heard no detonation. Eased off and returned to highway cruising speed. Noticed a slight ticking noise upon light throttle. Ticking turned into clatter, I am now scrambling to get off the highway. It was 11pm Sunday Dec 11th in the middle of nowhere Indiana on I-94. On the offramp the clatter went SMACK, BANG, BANG, SMACK, smoke rolling out behind me. Shut it off coasted into Burger King parking lot. Looked under the car and it was bleeding oil and coolant.

I initially thought I spun a rod bearing and then subsequently broke a con rod.

After opening up the whole thing this past weekend all the rod bearings were spinning freely. My guess now is I cracked a piston on that sprint and it took a few minutes to come apart and fall into the crank case and cause all that ruckus.

Not too sure....I hope to NEVER hear a motor make those sounds again.

Worst part was having to call my GF to pick me up over an hour from home. Then I had to drive her to work in the morning since I needed her car to go fetch mine on Monday. Took me longer than anticipated to get it on the trailer and I was late picking her up from work. Man was I in the doghouse for awhile!!!

damn, thats some destruction, should buff out though :laugh:

What I was thinkin' ^.^

but seriously. That reminds me of the dude that blew the 2.5L in his Probe GT. That motor was blown in half.

geez. is there anything good left of that motor?? lol

atleast you seem to have won the record for worst blown up duratec evAr

Adam,
I think I had almost as much fun tearing apart that motor and seeing the destruction as I had helping you drop the 3L in. Keep me posted on the plans for the weekend

Dang!..or should i say Bang!

a little JB Weld and a dremel and that will be back up and running in no time!

Back