• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SZ stress

i guess i will tell my tale from yesterday.
i decided to replace the idler pulley since it has been making noise for about 2 years now.
run down to the part store ask for an idler pulley, he hands me a box, i pay and go home.
pull the idler off the SVT open the box, its the friggin tensioner pulley.
so i take my idler and go back to the store.
he pulls up the car again and it shows only that pulley.
so then he pulls up a regular tour 2.5, it shows another pulley, this time it looks close to the SVT but is larger in diameter.
i say screw it and leave.
i went to 4 other parts stores, they all showed the same thing.
WTF?!?!
so i come home and decide to check CEG.
i find that a few people have run into this problem.
so i go back to the first store and buy the larger diameter pulley and put it on.
so it wasn't as bad as your brake issue matty, but it is an example of how the simplest repairs go wrong at my garage!
what should have taken me 10 minutes, took close to 2 hours!

Been there, done that. :laugh:

I spent an entire day working on idler and tensioner pulleys when I was finishing my 3L swap. They were so loud you couldn't hear yourself talk so I had to change them before I drove the car.

I ended up with a larger pulley and a new belt, but it was too tight because of the oversized pulley and chewed up some of the rubber on the belt before it reached a size that was good. I thought it was going to give me trouble, but it's been the same belt and pulleys for about 2 years and no trouble. :shrug:

ElKy thanks for the triangular file suggestion - it worked great! The tire is on and the car drives fine. :) Sorry all for the rant, I just had to vent.

Is anybody going to be around on Wednesday (morning/midafternoon)? I'd really like to have assistance changing the last brake out in case I fugg anything up.

Failing that, does anybody mind a passenger for the ride?

Last edited:
Borla exhausts are sexy. That is all.

I hate you now :mad:

well I was doing good until this afternoon with my car ... come to find out as I was checking everything over for the trip I noticed that the B+ wire of the alternator was melted ... the boot that covers the nut was burned up .... need less to say the nut was not installed last weekend and it has been arching and melting the stud down ... pics later ... so now I need a new cable (thanks to aircougar I do) which I need to get tomorrow and I need to get another alternator ... and I don't think that I can warrenty this one :cry: so to get one at the dealer tomorrow is pricey .... :nonono:

last year the A/C system and now this for this year ... luckly I caught it and it will be half the cost ...

I was hoping to install the warmonger brake kit this weekend but I don't have the time nor do I want to take the risk at this point ...

Check with aircougar. He maybe able to hook you up with the cable. He has qiute a few spare parts around and this may be something he has.

Brian, Team Ford shipped out my order and it will be arriving tomorrow. When do you plan on doing your alternator? I'd like to check it out and maybe attempt replacing mine before we leave. I don't think my battery is going to like only getting 12.2 volts while cruising to SZ. :cry:

I need to get my car to the shop tomorrow or Tuesday to finish the rest of the exhaust. Right now though, it sounds amazing. It's too bad the piping doesn't reach the bumper cut outs otherwise I would leave it like that as a temporary solution.

Last night I couldn't resist going back out after I got home. New wheel bearing and Magnaflow exhaust make me happy in pants. :eek:

BTW, I didn't get a chance to thank you for all the help yesterday. I couldn't of done it without you and your dad. I owe you guys BIG TIME!! :)

I hope Jess is doing good now.

well .... I don't think I can warrenty the alternator so I plan to put a new one back in tuesday night ... its not to bad but then again it can be .... took me a ****ing hour or more to get the top bolt out because it didn't want to move ... anyway the headers offered more space to work actually so it was easier for everything else ...

I may order from teamford parts tomorrow but I have to see ... maybe Bill can work with me on this but I will have to see ... its been a expensive mistake ... oh well live and learn ...

Its no problem at all helping out, I alreadt thanked my dad myself for helping out and finishing up with you. Jess is doing better, it was just some very, very bad indigestion, so all is better now ...

oh btw did say that I hate chris .... I want borla ... :mad:

:laugh:

Check with aircougar. He maybe able to hook you up with the cable. He has qiute a few spare parts around and this may be something he has.

I already did :laugh:

I called him and csvt1214 looking for the cable ... I just need to run up there tomorrow after work to get it ... or maybe I should upgrade that section of wiring ... hmmm thing is I don't have any extra wire at home ...

so I think that the nut was forgotten when the alternator was installed but I am not 100% sure ... but something wasn't right ... camera phone pics for now ...

05-13-07_1831.jpg

05-13-07_1832.jpg

You crazy kids and your last minute mods!
We better not have another Billdo situation on our hands. No more pushing cars off the highway. k? thx
;)

Back