• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SZ stress

what the hell?
If they don't recognize temp plates, then how the heck do you drive a car off the lot when you buy one from a MA dealership???
Do you have to go to the DMV first to get the plates?
What if the DMV is closed? you have to wait til it's open?
Something doesn't make sense there.

if you are buying a car new, the dealer will usually do all the running around for you and get your plates, but i guess if it is after hours you would have to wait until the next day.

if you are transfering plates from a vehicle you traded in, or just sold, you can put thiose plates on it and use the registration for 7 days i think, but you have to go to the registry to transfer the registration to the new car.
its crazy.

You M*******s are ridiculous. :laugh:

Ha! You said Mas*holes! I recently tried to type that and was stymied as well.

The government here is outrageous. If it helps, here's how I got my SVT up here from North Carolina:

The Ford dealer down there gave me a temp tag. I waltzed right back into Mass with it and not a word was spoken about it. Got Mass tags a few days later. Though I knew that Mass does not issue temp tags, I had no idea that they do not recognize them, and was better for it.

In Mass, most dealerships are on the Drive system -- a computer program linked with the RMV. They register the cars right there and put plates on. Time was, dealerships had folks to go to the registry and take care of all that nonsense, but its done in house these days.

yea Kim, you cant drive off in MA with temp plates, as Elky said, they will make the running to the DMV and get the plates there and you will be able to drive it off in the evening. My case I had to wait a few days because it was the weekend and I bought the car from NH.

I'm officially retarded! :laugh: :blackeye: :mad:

I sat around waiting till I had the cash to buy a 3 bolt high flow cat from Trubendz to go with the piping kit I bought. I finally bought one and come to find out, I ALREADY HAD IT!!!

I never opened the piping box until tonight. It comes with a cat, exactly the same as the one I just bought. :mad: :mad:

wo0t!!1!

Hood and Mirko just dropped off for paint. Should be ready for Tuesday.

I have my knuckle with a new bearing pressed and ready to go. I need to get a pipe expander for the exhaust, 2 clamps, and 2 hangers.

Todd, I pulled the clutch position switch for you.

welcome to a very busy weekend ahead of you :D

Im sorry ive been so behind but you tailights are all wrapped ready to ship, I'll mail them tomorrow (usps). You should have them LATEST tuesday.

im not too worried. all i really gotta do is wash/wax the car on sunday...and i'm contemplating on taping up the front bumper/hood for all the bugs i'm gonna pick up on the drive.

welcome to a very busy weekend ahead of you :D

Im sorry ive been so behind but you tailights are all wrapped ready to ship, I'll mail them tomorrow (usps). You should have them LATEST tuesday.
Are you talking to CSVT1214?

I'm heading home (Millbury) in an hour or so to change out my rear brakes, then to Thompson CT overnight to help a friend build a garage. If you want, I can pick up the taillights and then get them down to CT, then if Tony can meet somewhere along 84 he can have them by this afternoon or tomorrow. Let me know if you guys are interested, I'll be on AIM for the next hour (although AFK).

My own SZ Stress ... it's possible I may need to hitch with one of you guys. Rant coming here, feel free to skip:

Last week I changed the front brakes and rotors with my dad. Went pretty smoothly, no real problems other than our own mistakes (which were easily remedied).

This morning I head home to change the rear brakes today, expecting them to be as ok as the fronts. Not so much!

The tire comes off ok. The caliper comes off ok. The bolts to the caliper brace broke, both of them. D'oh! No big sweat, we'll figure it out later. The rotor is rusted onto the wheel, so 15 minutes of smacking it with a hammer we get it out. Now to figure out the caliper brace.

Lots of visits and calling. Nissan sells the entire caliper as a set. :( Autozone has them on order. CAP has them on order. Sears doesn't sell car parts. NAPA has one, in north Worcester. We drive up and pick it up. Apparently their computer noted this particular part as being a common part that breaks on Maximas (he showed me the screen). We need the bolts too, they give me two sets of brake bolts at $19 each.
Get home, go to push the caliper piston in. No go. No idea why. Look online and discover the rear piston needs to be turned, not pushed, using a specific part from Sears. Go to Sears, buy part.

Get home, none of the bolts in the sets are the ones we need. :mad: Two Autozones later we have the correct metric M10 bolts, set of four for $3.50. Get comments from both stores about Nissan brakes when they realize what we're looking for. The rotor is in. The brake pads are in. The caliper brace is in. The caliper piston is turned using said $10 tool. The caliper won't go on. Gah!! Look online again, the caliper needs to be turned to match the pins on the brake pads. Re-turn caliper piston, push on it, eventually goes on and is screwed in.

Everything's in. Ok. Jack the car up again, put the wheel on. Attempt to put lug nuts on .. wtf? None of them will go on. In banging on the old rusted rotor to get it off, we also tapped on the lugs a bit with the hammer. So the first few threads on every lug are too tight. Yikes.

It's 10pm, the car sits laughing at our futile attempts. All we have left to do is put the wheel on and put the lugs on (and test drive the car!). We have now spent 11 hours on this one wheel. And have to continue again tomorrow.

I just know that the other rear caliper brace is going to have the same problem. In one of our five Autozone trips, I ordered a caliper brace, which won't come in till Wednesday at noon. I won't bother trying the right rear brake till then. But because of that, I have a new rear left brake and old right rear brake, which is bad for driving of course.

the rant: I give up. Completely. Even the simplest jobs such as changing freaking brakes! turn out to be two-week-long sagas. Other than cleaning a car, I have never ever had luck working on any I have owned. The new car will be brand new with an extended warranty, and I will gladly drop cars off and pay $$ to avoid the time lost and frustration gained.

And I never did get down to help my friend build his garage..

Last edited:
the joys of working on cars!!!!
the easiest fix for the lugs is to buy a die and clean the threads or use a very thin triangular file to work the threads back into shape.

My dad has both of those in the basement and we will use them tomorrow to fix the lugs (or at least, attempt to fix). :)

i guess i will tell my tale from yesterday.
i decided to replace the idler pulley since it has been making noise for about 2 years now.
run down to the part store ask for an idler pulley, he hands me a box, i pay and go home.
pull the idler off the SVT open the box, its the friggin tensioner pulley.
so i take my idler and go back to the store.
he pulls up the car again and it shows only that pulley.
so then he pulls up a regular tour 2.5, it shows another pulley, this time it looks close to the SVT but is larger in diameter.
i say screw it and leave.
i went to 4 other parts stores, they all showed the same thing.
WTF?!?!
so i come home and decide to check CEG.
i find that a few people have run into this problem.
so i go back to the first store and buy the larger diameter pulley and put it on.
so it wasn't as bad as your brake issue matty, but it is an example of how the simplest repairs go wrong at my garage!
what should have taken me 10 minutes, took close to 2 hours!

Hey Elky,

Do you still have the part numbers for both the idler and the tensioner? I'd like to change both of them on my car as they were noisy when I did my motor swap.

all i have are the C.A.P. part numbers.
basically you have to go tot he store and just ask what they have and compare them to the originals.

Back