• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dash Warp - Self Fix Question

ELECTRO

CEG'er
Hey folks. Before anyone posts a whole bunch of links to previous threads, just hear me out please. I've already searched and looked through all the old posts I could possibly find on fixing the dash warp problem.

I'm getting my windshield replaced in the near future, which would grant me VERY easy access to the top of the dash. What I'm wondering is.... Since I don't have to remove the dash to work on the warp, does anyone have some different ideas for how I could fix the problem? The previous owner tried the Gorilla Glue thing and it didn't really work all that well. Does ford still have the metal plate kit for sale? I think this would be very easy to do if I could put it in without the windshield in my way.

Thanks for reading all of the question. I hope I can get the dash back to looking normal again. It's such a nice car and this is the only problem with the entire interior.

you pretty much answered your own ?. In most of the past posts using the ford repair kit they all agree the best way to do it w/o removing the dash is to remove the windshield, so you got that covered. I believe the part # for the ford kit has been posted so the best thing would be to use the part # to call your local dealer or idealy call bill jenkins who is contour aware and would give you the best help. so you pretty much helped yourself :cool: .

If your looking for Bill go to our home page on left side click mods/parts click on it, look all the way down for team ford las veagas then click the link.

I recently purchased the dash fix kit. It was a recall that has long since expired. I think I paid about $70-80 for the kit. I went into the local dealership parts counter and ordered it. The new trim piece comes in black. I too am thinking about having my windshield removed to fix mine. A buddy of mine said removing the dash is a real PITA. After the kit is installed it does a real nice job of fixing the warp.

Rod

I think the biggest problem is going to be trying to find black screws for the kit to hold it down to the dash. Nobody wants silver screws holding it down. It'll look really tacky. Does the hardware come with the metal plate?

I think the biggest problem is going to be trying to find black screws for the kit to hold it down to the dash. Nobody wants silver screws holding it down. It'll look really tacky. Does the hardware come with the metal plate?

paint the screws black. or after they are installed take a Q-tip and dip it in black paint and dab it on the screw. that way it wont come off when you screw it down.;)

Just ordered my dash warp correction plate from Bill Jenkins. What a curtious guy!!! I should be getting it this next week. It'll be nice to have the interior almost perfect again. :)

Ok, so I got my dash warp kit. With Ford's infinate wisdom, they packed this thing so that the plastic vent scratches the heck out of the metal vent trim. They're packed right on top of each other. DUH FORD!!!! :mad: So now I have scratches all over it.... Anyway, it didn't come with any directions at all, not even a website. I did a search on CEG for dash warp. I found some good picture examples but no directions. Can anyone help me out?

wow, I think there's a lot of stuff in here that I don't need to do.... especially since my windshield is going to be pulled out at the time of the repair. There's a lot of confusing crap in there.... 8-O

When I went to my local dealer they had no clue of what the hell I was talking about. Yeah they knew about the warping but not about the repair kit. Aint that reausrring. :nonono:

windshields have a 50/50 chance of breaking when you R&I them so make sure you find a really really good glass guy, or your looking @ alot more money than removing the dash

windshields have a 50/50 chance of breaking when you R&I them so make sure you find a really really good glass guy, or your looking @ alot more money than removing the dash

I have glass coverage, which is why I'm getting the windshield pulled in the first place. I got a few little rock chips in it from a bad wind storm out here in AZ. When that happens it basically sand blasts your car with all kinds of debris. It sucks. It's sort of hard to notice, but I'm VERY anal about little things like that on my car. So yah, the windshield and about 3 side windows are getting replaced completely, which will give me access to the dash. You definately have a good point though.

here is FORDS HOW TO. click the pdf file

At some point did ford start doing their own fix on the dashes at the factory???

See I got this dash out of a 99 and in a good many spots the pad was loose. So I have been gluing it all back together and got to the top front and found it had everything in the fix kit except the metal cover. I don't know for sure, but when I was taking this out everything was correct no short cuts or any indication the dash had been out. That is what prompted my question. I did find the big metal cover on another car so I got one but now I'm not sure I,m goning to use it....

Back