• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Upper Intake Manifold Cleaning

TourEnvy

Hard-core CEG'er
I have read both How to's and I plan on tackling this, However I dont have much time and will only have a night or maybe two to do it. How long does this take to do? I am pretty knowledgable, I have been through my Mustang from top to bottom. I also have done some work on my contour. I would like to take my time and make sure everything is correct. Estimated time? Also any other reassurance is helpful.

Its cake, messy job, you could get in done in less then a day.

I recommend taking both manifolds to the DIY carwash and powerwashing that ISH

You read the how-tos and missed the part on the bottom that says:

the how-to said:
APPROX. TIME AND COST:
UIM Gaskets- $22.60
LIM Gaskets- $18.04
IAC Gasket- $.45
TB Gasket- $3.00
EGR Gasket- $2.25
*Optional* Fuel Injector O-Rings- $6.80
*Optional* Torque Wrench- $9.95
6 Cans Valvoline Synpower Throttle Body Cleaner- $19.74
Small Brass Bristle Brush- $2.99
Large Roll of Shop Towels- $4.99
~ 3-6 Hours

:D even if you take your TIME, it will only take about 9-12 hours, and a LOT of that is just letting it sit there.. and soak.. and soak.. and soak.

Yeah, I saw that at the bottom but I wanted know what more people estimates 3-6 hrs seemed pretty brawd. But like I said I only has one or wo nights to do it. I donno If ill have enough time, im also trying to locate gaskets for pick up today.

Yeah, I saw that at the bottom but I wanted know what more people estimates 3-6 hrs seemed pretty brawd. But like I said I only has one or wo nights to do it. I donno If ill have enough time, im also trying to locate gaskets for pick up today.

It tooke me about an hour and half to get the UIM done and with a little bit of cleaning of the LIM cause it wasn't too bad. Just depends on how much you want it to soak, the longer you let it soak the easier it is...just takes more time.

I just talk to the Ford dealership, they want $24 per intake gasket... That seems a little steep, you think?

No, thats what they want for the two uppers, unless that one piece. :shrug: He said they price individually, but packaged together.

What did you guys do for Torqueing INCH/LBS I guess ill have to buy a wrench too. You should see Our shop its pack with tools and Machines, but no INCH/LB Torque wrench just FT/LBS. I read around other site and they said to divide by 12 and use a ft lb wrench... Im thinking this isnt a good Idea... need lesss to say I read this on a Corvette Forum. :laugh:

No, thats what they want for the two uppers, unless that one piece. :shrug: He said they price individually, but packaged together.

What did you guys do for Torqueing INCH/LBS I guess ill have to buy a wrench too. You should see Our shop its pack with tools and Machines, but no INCH/LB Torque wrench just FT/LBS. I read around other site and they said to divide by 12 and use a ft lb wrench... Im thinking this isnt a good Idea... need lesss to say I read this on a Corvette Forum. :laugh:
You can divide by 12. Though if you only have a big 1/2" drive torque wrench like you use on wheels, then it's not gonna work too good.

Back