• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need some help from the 3L guys

2slowtour

CEG'er
i did alot of reading and im kinda confused on what i need to get to get my 3L together. i wanna go with the svt UIM and LIM .

as for what i found that i need

2001 3L with S Vin
fill in coolant line in 3L block
svt heads and cames
ST220 valve springs (if wanted)
tranny work ect.
chip from arizonadynochip
good tune
19lb injectors

now what im confussed on do i have to do a split port to match the svt LIM .
i know this has been gone over thousands of times but im read most of it on the old forum and so links work and some dont. if any of you can give me any info i would be greatly thankful.

best regards to all

phil

Phil,

You have listed a 3 liter hybrid engine. You are using your 2.5 heads and will not have to port match the manifolds, because the SVT splitport manifolds bolt up to your SVT (split port) head (or any 2.5 head for that matter).

You only need to port when you use a 3 liter oval port head, and SVT manifolds. Oval =/= split port intakes :)

what coolent line or hole needs to be filled in??? and am i using the 3L oil pan,pick up, ect. or svt and the knock sensor do i tap it in the exact place as the svt motor? that should be about it unless you guys wanna give me any advice on the swap???

I didn't do the same swap as you are, so maybe someone can hop in and give you some answers. I suggest looking in the "old forums" and doing several searches in the 3L area and you'll find the answers. For my knock sensor, it wasn't a threaded one, it simply had a bolt holding it on so that made my install easier. But there are pictures of the coolant lines that need to be filled. I think I remember someone saying if you hold the gasket up you can see which hole needs to filled.

If you insist about going with split port heads over a complete oval port setup do yourself a favor and pick up a pair of heads from a later gen (I beleive 01+ cougars) where you won't have to fill in any oil drains on the head

Is that so nima?

I dont remember reading anything about that. If that were the case, and a hybird was my choice.... Id do what a certain wiseman suggested and do 2.5 heads kinger ported with 3 liter valves. That motor would scream

Take a look at Demonsvt's site, hes got a step by step on how / what is involved. You just need to massage the ovals open a bit and fill in a part to match the split ports.

Some people prefer the split port to maintain the stock look of the SVT engine. Some also dont want to deal with the fuel rail issue.

ok cool got some more info so im going to use the svt 2.5 heads with the svt cams. i would like to get the 3L valves and st200 valve springs . so everything would bolt up with the 3L block. now with the split port im only going to need that if i use the 3L heads am i right correct me if im wrong.

could someone send me the link to demons site. and maybe some pics if anyone has any??
thanks phil

Ya I know, but in the end of all the massaging you end up with a massive hole with an injector thats on one side and unequal length runners feeding right into it...

ok cool got some more info so im going to use the svt 2.5 heads with the svt cams. i would like to get the 3L valves and st200 valve springs . so everything would bolt up with the 3L block. now with the split port im only going to need that if i use the 3L heads am i right correct me if im wrong.

could someone send me the link to demons site. and maybe some pics if anyone has any??
thanks phil

you only need to port match to svt manifolds if you're using 3 liter heads.I think you need to pop back over to the old forums and browse through the three liter section for a week or so to get everything straightend out.

Ya I know, but in the end of all the massaging you end up with a massive hole with an injector thats on one side and unequal length runners feeding right into it...

Thats true, but you also need to remember that quite a few of these set ups are putting down some good numbers, so something must be working for them.

check NECO a few of those guys have dynos posted. I think bradsvt just posted one too

On a mustang dyno iirc. would probably have been closer to 220/200 which is pretty damn respectable.

Do you have SVT cams in your car nima? what did you put down on the dyno?

Yea i have svt cams...
I haven't gotten the chance to dyno yet, I might before winter starts but before that I need to fix my exhaut and tune

Id be interested in seeing what you put down nima, keep me posted.

You running st220 mani and no imrc correct?

wow, realized this probably could have been done over PM but I suppose its better to build the dialouge of the new forums up.... thats my story and im sticking to it!

Back