• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

horrible squeaking from left front

codypka

Veteran CEG'er
Lately my 2000 CSVT has developed a rather loud and annoying squeaking noise from the left front. It is at its worse when making right hand turns and when i push down on the car. I assume i just need a new strut but i wanted to ask here and make sure i dont pay for something that wont make this noise go away.

So i ask, what does everyone think it is? and if it is indeed a bad strut whats the best place to get a replacement that wont kill me finacially?

Maybe the lower control arm all joints. Check them out. I noticed that mine are shot and I'm getting alot of squeaking from the passenger side. From what I hear, it is alot harder to change out the drivers side rather than the passenger. Good luck. I think the arms are around $65.

Maybe the lower control arm all joints. Check them out. I noticed that mine are shot and I'm getting alot of squeaking from the passenger side. From what I hear, it is alot harder to change out the drivers side rather than the passenger. Good luck. I think the arms are around $65.

thanks for the tip. Did yours happen all of a sudden, or did it gradually get all squeaky? Cause mine was just all of a sudden, so much so that i thought maybe water just got in the shocks, but it didnt go away and now its been like 2 weeks.

I cant stand the damned squeaking, its driving me nuts, esp in combination with the yet undiagnosed rattling from the right rear

My driverside has been making a little bit of noise everyonce in awhile but the passenger side was just all of a sudden. I found my problem by putting a little oil on the open ball joints one at a time and then it stopped squeaking. I haven't relaced it yet because it hasn't started squeaking again since I put the oil on it. Once it dries up it'll do it again. I've been searching for the right control arm. I've found a few on ebay but I just haven't spent any money yet.

You should use some good general troubleshooting before buying parts. Such as, getting it up on a jack and fiddling with parts, seeing if you can locate the squeek..... or have someone go down and listen as you rock the car up and down and see if they can pinpoint the cause.

Good suggestion above too about lubricating parts one at a time until it goes away or lessens. That should help you isolate what needs to be replaced.

You should use some good general troubleshooting before buying parts. Such as, getting it up on a jack and fiddling with parts, seeing if you can locate the squeek..... or have someone go down and listen as you rock the car up and down and see if they can pinpoint the cause.

Good suggestion above too about lubricating parts one at a time until it goes away or lessens. That should help you isolate what needs to be replaced.

what kind of lubricant should I use? I'd like to jack it up, but with my tiny driveway and no decent jack i dont think thats much of an option

My driverside has been making a little bit of noise everyonce in awhile but the passenger side was just all of a sudden. I found my problem by putting a little oil on the open ball joints one at a time and then it stopped squeaking. I haven't relaced it yet because it hasn't started squeaking again since I put the oil on it. Once it dries up it'll do it again. I've been searching for the right control arm. I've found a few on ebay but I just haven't spent any money yet.

I just replaced both LCAs. They were ~$55 ea. from Bill Jenkins. Passenger side was a piece of cake. Driver's side was a pain in the ass.

ok i did some investigating. I jacked the car up as far as i could. Everything looked to be normal (but then again I dont know if i would recognize a bad control arm joint or whatever its called anyway). But as i was slowly lowering the car back i could here it creak creak creak creak all the way down. Then, after it was all the way down, i tried pushing down on the fender (which usually causes it to squeak like all hell ) but it made more of a deeper sound, almost clicking. Both me and my friend think the sound is coming from above the tire, in the direction of the strut/spring.

i hope this gives you all a better idea of what my problem is

Back