• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear end getting loose

fordcupcar

CEG'er
I own a 1998 SVT with 102k miles. Today I was driving home from brunch and took a winding onramp at around 30-40mph. However, when I was taking the turn I felt my back end really getting loose and I had to get off the gas and tap the brake a little to correct the "sway". Now, my first instinct was a strut issue, but I'm not quite sure. I was also considering installing a swaybar if thats what it comes down to.

Ideas?

-fordcupcar

balding rear tires? maybe? else i'd say your struts and or swaybar would be causing it. Don't really think it could be because of anything else. (really off alignment maybe?)

I'm not quite sure how I would see if my struts were bad - or what I would do to correct the problem just short of replacing them.

Bounce the rear of the car up and down by pushing on it. Ideally you should get about 1 - 2 rebounds on the shocks (mine go once). If it keeps bouncing like an old caddy then they are most likelyworn.

You may also want to have a look at your rear sway bar. Specifically at the mounts and bushings. That can cause the rear to step out as well

Alright - when I jack my car up to balance my tires I'll have a look at my swaybar. I'm really hoping its the bushings or something not expensive.

First of all, what was the speed of the off/on ramp...There are plenty that are designed for 25mph if you're doing 40 physics is against you from the start unless your skidpad is over 1g :laugh:

Also make sure you weren't in PA were 85% of the ramps have expansion joints that will jolt the car. Any hop in tight turn will send the car loose.

And if it wasn't the road or your driving, start with the sway bar. You probably need new endlinks, mine were destoryed at 76K. And since you'll be loosening the bar, you might as well replace the bushings with replaces or upgraded Energy Suspenion sway bar bushings.

Ditto on the bounce, if you get more then 1 and half bounces, or if you sit in the trunk and the tires are into the wheel wells you probably need springs/struts.

Good luck.

If you have a broken swaybar, that kind of thing can happen. Your rear would be compressing and the other side would be extending instead of the sway bar also compressing the inside tire. You get a real horrible lean and all your pressure goes to one tire instead of two and is much easier to slide.

If you didn't have a bump in the road to cause the car to get squirrelly, I'd check the rear tires first. I had a tired set on the back of mine once, and the tail would want to come around under duress, which made for very tricky handling. After I replaced my entire suspension, including the end links and the bar bushings, I threw on some brand new tires and had the car aligned. There is no comparison. The car is a joy to drive now.

Cheap stuff first, though. If your tires are worn, dry, etc., then it's time for a trip to the tire store.

^^^ Good call. Under inflation can cause that too... very easy to check. Same with OVER inflation.

Alright thanks everyone I am going to check my tired pressure. Tires aren't an issue - they were replaced 5k-10k ago. I guess if worst comes to worst I will take a look at my sway bar bushings. I hope the job isn't too hard - I'm not looking to have someone else do it.

Back