• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

knocking, passanger side wheel downshifting.

gumby4mayor

CEG'er
my car has a knocking noise when i downshift coming from the right front. not really sure what it could be, it's strange doesnt do it unless im off the throttle downshifting....any ideas?

it apears everything is in order, i just got the balljoint and lca bushing replaced, unless they did something wrong. could that be? possibly the bushing is of wrong size or something? the lca bushing never changed with s and years for the contour did they?

Subframe bolts would make the sound also when braking and sometimes going over bumps. I wouldnt think that this is the case for you. I had a loose subframe bolt and the only sound it would make was a loud pop/clunk when braking or going over a bump as I said...

yeah, ive noticed mine somtimes does it while turning also at slow speeds i can tell. it may be doing this at higher speeds also but i cant hear it, my car has a borla exhaust and it's a bit tad to hear, but this knocking you can feel and hear.

also, it makes clunks in groups, not just clunk....than done but clunk clunk clunk.....ect when downshifting coming to a stop.

Have you checked your motor mounts? Sounds a lot like play in something that should be fairly easy to determine if you dig around enough. Get in there and push, bounce, rock things until you can get the noise to occur.

If it happens on bumps then start pushing up and down on the car in that area with the hood open and listen. Are all your lug nuts tight?

ok this is killing me, it only does it when im on the throttle if i push the clutch in or let of the gas it stops, it's making a scraping sound now as if it where the brakes rubbing or something...but i just replaced them so im doubting it's them and if it is theres something causing it...but what!?

Sounds like your axle is going out. Or maybe just a cv joint. It is speed sensitive right? I heard a clunk clunk clunk that would slow down with the car and it was only there when I was decelerating with the brakes applied. I could actually modulate it, depending on how much brake pressure i applied. Very annoying tho...I replaced my driver's side axle a month ago and the problem was gone. I'd thought that car woulda sold by now...I would consider it but I wouldn't be able to afford it...true story.

Back