• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I wracked my contour. Need Suggestions.

s.rich06

CEG'er
:mad: First im very pissed about this but here's my story.

I have a 95 contour 2.5 SE and i wracked it. I was going to mcdonald's and when i got there the lines were to long so i was going to go to another one. On my way there a scion pulled up next to me. and the street was turning and i slowed down and he didn't. I dont know what happened but he slid out and me being behind him i locked my brakes to prevent from hitting him and my car slid and i tried to oversteer the car and i hit the curb wentonthegrass and hit to signs. He however slid and his car went in a creek across the street from my car and the traffic lights fell down. I dont have pictures because i was to devastated. I wasnt thinking straight. But my passenger door is scratched up and dented badly. My tail light is cracked. A rip in my bumper. My tires and rims on the driver side was under the car and my engine was smoking for a little while. His car wasn't that bad only suspension damage a front bumper and he needs new rims. Now here's what i need help on. Who's fault is it? How should i go about either geting my car fixed or getting a new one? How should i handle the claim. Should i tell me insurance company. I only have liabilty. Would should i do? :shrug:

Legally? plain and simple, if you were following so closely as to have needed to "lock up" your brakes to avoid a collision, then you are the one at fault for the damage to your car, and if there was a police report then your insurance will be notified either way and your insurance will have to pay for the damage to the public signage, and other street structures.

Your insurance will not replace your vehicle if you have liability, as this wasn't anyone else's fault. Your possible options for repair or replacement, at this time, are the same as if you were never to have had insurance.

Pay out of pocket. Sad??... true??.. all of the above.

Your cars done and you'll get no money for your car, although what is that car worth anyways? Your part of the accident will be your fault. And you'll have to pay for the damaged items you took out.

I wasn't following closely he was in the lane next to me when this happened. and he slid into my lane which made me lock up my brakes.

failure to control your vehicle.. plain and simple.. (or.. at least I thought it was plain and simple.........)

You failed to leave yourself an "out".

You left your lane to avoid your car being in an accident. Theorhetically, if you hadn't left your lane at all, nor touched your brakes, and he DID slide in to you, it would have been his fault, pending investigation and impact positions, etc.

But, since you chose (instinctually, I know) to slam on your brakes and you oversteered, YOU thus controlled your car OFF the road and in to the curb... not the other guy.

My assesment stands as posted above. Sorry to say it, bro.

The laws vary a bit in each state. I'd say talk to an attorney. For a consultation it is usually free, and find out if you can bring a suit against the other guy in spite of your attempt to avoid an accident. Did the police come to the scean? was there a police report? If so and it implys the other guy caused the accidents then definately go see a lawyer. Otherwise there is always Judge Judy :D

my 2 cents

Yes the police was there, there isa police report and im thinking about getting a lawyer. If i his company dont cover my car then im going to do that. Any more suggestions. Thanks for all the help

Well because you have liability only, that would suggest the car was paid off. It sucks but you should get another car. Sinking the money you would need to fix it into a car that will now have a "salvage" title isn't really worth it. Besides, it will never feel like it did before and it will just make you more upset.

I don't care if you ended up losing control, someone else flew into your lane and cut you off because of THEIR inability to control their vehicle. If your going through an intersection and someon runs a red and near slams into you but you avoid them by your manuvers and biff up your car, they are at fault, I don't care what the law says. You could probably go after them because they should have a citation for running the red, thus causing your accident. This person failed to leave proper room and made a wreckless lane change. If they got a citation for something (following too close for conditions, etc) you should be able to fight it on that basis...

I'm not a lawyer, but it sounds logical, and if that's not how it goes, the system is more lame than I thought.

nope i dont think he got a ticket. come to find out the insurance for the car. (it was a 2007 scion tc) was in his girlfriends name and when they filied their claim they only said one car was involved . Then i called his company and told them my car was also involved and they sounded shock. So now they are waiting for the police report and will make their decsion. If they dont cover my car im going to get a lawer simple as that. But im going to get another car im aint messing wit that contour even though i liked it. But thanks for all the suggestions and i will keep you guys posted on what happens.

So, if he didn't get a citation, did you? What were the conditions (weather, traffic) like?

See how much the ins company wants to buy it back, then maybe part it out.

On the bright side, it's times like these that could bring an SVT into your garage. :cool:

Last edited:
So, if he didn't get a citation, did you? What were the conditions (weather, traffic) like?

See how much the ins company wants to buy it back, then maybe part it out.

On the bright side, it's times like these that could bring an SVT into your garage. :cool:

Nope i didnt get one either. It was about 75 degrees outside no rain very sunny, no traffic on the street at first jus me and him. I was thinking of parting it out but the garage it is at now is being charge 25 dollars a day. This happened sunday so i now owe 285 dollars jus to get my car junked. I was going to pay to get it out because i didn't know whether or not his ins company was going to cover my car and i still dont know. So i wanted to aviod letting that fee get to high and if they do cover me i will get a reimburstment if not then im SOL until i get my lawyer. What should i do. And you better believe im going to look for either a CSVT or a FSVT.

By the way the other guys insurance company took blame for my car. Totaled it and gave me about 3000 for it. But i couldnt find a csvt or a fsvt. So i got a 96 v6 se

out of curiosity, how many miles were on it when it was totaled? 3k doesn't sound bad at all though for a 95 unless the miles are low.

glad to hear everything worked out fine though.

edit: and thats a lot more than id say my 96 is worth...

Last edited:
She had 146 101 on her. I was surprised to. But i didnt complain i just took the check and went on about my business. I only paid 1100 for it.

By the way the other guys insurance company took blame for my car. Totaled it and gave me about 3000 for it. But i couldnt find a csvt or a fsvt. So i got a 96 v6 se
Then you didnt' look very hard! :nonono:

She had 146,101 on her. I was surprised to. But i didnt complain i just took the check and went on about my business. I only paid 1100 for it.
:troutslap:

well that sucks man, you could have gotten a pretty clean csvt w/ the 3k like you wanted... looks like your impatience got the best of you ?

Back