• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Is my motor a 98 EO or 98.5 E1?

your VIN number, or that little sticker on your driver side door will tell you when your car was made. Anytime before I think it was May or June 1997 is a 98, if it's mid 1998 it's a 98.5

Do you have the rest of the car, or just an SVT engine?

If you have the rest of the car, look for things such as:

• Clock on dash, not in radio (98) -or- plate that says "Contour" (98.5+)
• ...I forgot the others right now!
• Oh yeah, rims: rounded spokes with center cap covering lug nuts (98) -or- concave spokes like other SVTs, exposed lug nuts (98.5+)

Last edited:
The changeover date is early February (probably the first day of production for the month) of 98 for the SVT.

By the way, the 98 E0 and 98 E1 engines are identical. The 5 HP increase came in 99.

Last edited:
Do you have the rest of the car, or just an SVT engine?

If you have the rest of the car, look for things such as:

• Clock on dash, not in radio (98) -or- plate that says "Contour" (98.5+)
• ...I forgot the others right now!
• Oh yeah, rims: rounded spokes with center cap covering lug nuts (98) -or- concave spokes like other SVTs, exposed lug nuts (98.5+)

yes and no, at least with my car.
I have a E1 with a clock on dash, E1 Rims, and the door guards are the way they are on E0. So figure mine out. LOL. And I have a later build date. But it looks like mine is just one that was around the time they changed over and threw extra E0 parts on it.

How do I figure it out?
Is there some reason that you don't think your engine is original to the car? If not, then yes, what everyone else has posted. I asked a similar question eons ago when I found out from an Oasis report that my engine and MTX had been blown up before I got the car. The general feeling was that the motor was probably the rebuilt original.
Karl

yes and no, at least with my car.
I have a E1 with a clock on dash, E1 Rims, and the door guards are the way they are on E0. So figure mine out. LOL. And I have a later build date. But it looks like mine is just one that was around the time they changed over and threw extra E0 parts on it.
Some of the E1s got leftover E0 parts. My Contour was like that, click the sig for the breakdown. Most of my interior was 98-specific whereas most of the exterior was 98.5-specific.

Since you have 4892 which is just around the switchover, it's likely you got leftover parts. Alternatively, your car was owned by someone who recontented the clock (common mod) and recontented the ding guards (no idea why anybody would do that).

Back