• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

stuck in 2nd gear, shifter moves only up and down

S2Knott

Hard-core CEG'er
ok so i shifted hard into 2nd gear and then after into 3rd and the shifter came loose and it goes up and down the 3rd to 4th channel but doesnt go side to side, and it is stuck in 2nd gear.

At first i asked Bob Randall about it and he said that it could be the shifter so i am going to put the stock shifter back on and see if that does anything but after searching i read a few threads that all said something different.

one said it was the cable, another thread talked about a tower bolt.

Anyways, im about to make a 1 1/2 drive up to get the stock shifter but im having doubts that it might not even be the shifter... So what could it be?

btw all i have is 2nd no neutral reverse ect. I need an answer asap.

lift your leather up, and move your shifter, you should see the linkage attached to a side ball, and the linkage should be moving as you move it, their is another linkage attached to a lower ball, it should move in and out as well. also your shift tower is a possible cause. i had mine replaced this week due to me losing 5th and reverse, but it wont be the same as yours as i broke my return spring for my reverse lockout. perhaps you broke the ball off of your shifter, but if their is two linkages physically attached to your shifter, you can scratch the shifter off your possibles list.

i completely removed everything in/on the shifter, then tried to put it back together and again it still wont go side to side.

How do i find the tower bolt for the tranny because id like to check that?

btw a few days before it happend there was tons of play while in gear, like probably 1 inch while in a gear.

Last edited:
i had the same thing happen to me after i got mine out the shop. i had to move the tower on the trans by hand to free up the side to side movement. One part just slides up and down and the rest moves it left to right. Have a friend try and move the shifter while you look at it and you should see what i mean. Its located near the firewall close to where the air filter sits. Might take a couple minutes but should be fine.

Last edited:
Check your linkage at the shifter and at the trans, maybe it came off, more than likely though your shift tower bolt sheered, I would suggest not moving the car until you can take the shift tower out, assuming your linkages are all connected still... If you need a how to, I still haven't written the one I was going to do after I replaced my shift tower bolt...

i had a lot of play in my shifter, it was due to the black plug in the o-ring of the clamp at the tansmission end of the cable. i replaced it n it got rid of that 1 inch of play in the shifter

like i said earlier. If your shift cable came loose from your shifter reattach it and do this.
i had the same thing happen to me after i got mine out the shop. i had to move the tower on the trans by hand to free up the side to side movement. One part just slides up and down and the rest moves it left to right. Have a friend try and move the shifter while you look at it and you should see what i mean. Its located near the firewall close to where the air filter sits. Might take a couple minutes but should be fine.

its not far from the air intake. remove it if you want but not really necessary. Just have someone move it up and down while you look and you should easily see it.

Last edited:
can somebody get a pic of this, i have no idea what im looking for, BUT what i did see is, i looked down and saw a shiny bolt type thing that looked like it had a nut missing, it was way down in the engine little to the right of TB but down more.

Why is a picture needed?

Did you (obviously not, if you had you would know) have a friend move the shifter up and down while you looked at it for movement, like was suggested about eleventy-million times already?
:idea::idea::idea:

make a post....
at the bottom of the post click "attach" and then choose your file... if the file is too big for CEG's filesize limits, then either resize the file to fit, or host it online at a free website, such as "http://www.imageshack.us"

simply choose the "browse" button and find your file
click the "resize image?" checkmark and choose 640x480
click the "remove resolution" checkmark as well.
click "host it"

on the next page find the text box that says "Thumbnail for forums (1)"
highlight that url and right click/copy
go to your CEG post and "paste" it (right click in the text area and choose paste) where you want the image to appear.

ie, typing this:

[U*RL=htp://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0527uq3.jpg][I*MG]htp://img519.imageshack.us/img519/1487/img0527uq3.th.jpg[/IMG][/url] (ignore the *)

gives me this:

img0527uq3.jpg

Here... Check these, easiest is probably to take off your drivers side tire and look up.... you might be able to see with out taking it off, but that was the easiest way I found to do it....

Here's what your checking...

100_2436.JPG

when i look down under the brake fluid resivor i see a shiny stud, that looks like something thats had a bolt fall off of it or something, does this have anything to do with this?

Back