• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

wiper cowl...

zorrex

Enjoys the Abuse
ok, so i was checkin out my wiper cowl, trying to remove it so i can run my power wire for my subs. however, i do not have a wiper removal tool...

i got the pic from the cowl remover HOW-TO.

P1000284.jpg

but, not having a wiper removal tool and all, and not feeling like getting one, how can i actually get the wipers off? do i need to hold down the arm that connects to the motor while pulling on the wiper? or can i just pull up on the wiper w/o holding this connecting arm down? i dont really want to ruin my wiper/wiper motor etc, lol. thanks :)

I don't know if the Duratec or the MTX use it for anthing, but I ran mine through a rubber boot on the firewall next to the brake booster.

With the ATX which you have, there is a grommet on the firewall next to your brake pedal, its for the clutch on the 5Spd MTX, should work nicely.

i really hate to sound retarded, but i DID look for this and didn't see it. i pulled up my carpet a tad and didnt spot this rubber you speak of. the only option i saw down there was the steering column opening, of which is a HORRIBLE option because of the rubbing that can occur.

I have a very old pic of the gromet (wires have been threaded through gromet since this pic):

PICT0069.jpg

I you take a look over the driver side strut, its directly left of it.

ahhhhh i cant view the page. i need to log in.... oh well. it's not a big deal. im just trying to find a way to NOT have it go through my door jamb and through my quarter panel. it's ugly and very impractical. altho i do enjoy how it hugs the very edge of the engine bay where it comes out of the quarter panel by the hood hinge. easy to hide the wire :). i'll just try forcing off the wipers using reasonable force that wont break them. i should be fine :).

It leads directly into the cabin. If you remove the foot guard, you'll see it to the left of the brake pedal, above the carpet. Its covered behind fire guard material:

PICT0067.jpg

omfg thank you! i have been trying to find an easy way to do this for awhile! it will be such cake to fish my power wire under my rug and put it up through that grommet! i'll update with pics when im done. once i fix my power wire im also going to secure my amp to my trunk rug and run my ground underneath it onto the trunk latch. it's gonna be seck-see. thats my saturday project :).

ahhh fog light install. thats another future project hehe. i need to pick up some OEM fogs and install them. wasnt a big fan of those $20 autzone small ovals i picked up. they were great for about 3 months until the wire connections behind my dash MELTED (yes, MELTED the electrical tape. but i used wire caps afterwards) the electrical tape and one of the lights filled with water. *sigh*

Back