• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car Alarm Scanners

csvt2200

Veteran CEG'er
Planning to get a paging alarm system soon, and also looking at getting the Varad Scanner below just for the extra looks and notice that I have an alarm for those thieves out there. Anyways, does anyone else have one? Just trying to get some ideas of where to mount it.

IMO when thieves see this kind of scanner most of the time people install it for the look and dont even have a alarm on the car so you still have a lot of chance to end up with a broken window

I heard at a CEG meet a while back that the cars without PATS got hit, but the cars with PATS didn't.

Suppose the theives thought the PATS light was a factory alarm.

Just keep all your valuables OUT of the car and you shouldn't have a problem.

That Varad Scanner thing looks like rice to me. Why do you need something so gawdy looking? Whats wrong with the single blinking led?

Just keep all your valuables OUT of the car and you shouldn't have a problem.

That Varad Scanner thing looks like rice to me. Why do you need something so gawdy looking? Whats wrong with the single blinking led?

:shocked: you've got to be kidding me. I'll just unhook my sub and amp (pic below) and take it out of my car and just carry it with me everywhere I go...:nonono:
2528810_40_full.jpg

I saw something in Autozone yesterday that made me laugh. It was solar-powered scanning LEDs, you just stick it on your dashboard.

Anyway, that thing looks similar to the solar-powered fake I saw, similar enough that any theif might think you're faking an alarm and will go for it. Whether or not your alarm does go off and they run off, you will still have a broken window or two to deal with.

If you are adament about the idea of a scanner, I would rig up several red LEDs and drill them in through the Contour plate on the dashboard, bout 1 inch spaces between. It would take a lot more time and ingenuity than just plugging that thing in, but would look pretty awesome IMO...

Last edited:
:shocked: you've got to be kidding me. I'll just unhook my sub and amp and take it out of my car and just carry it with me everywhere I go...:nonono:

I mean things like cd player, cd's, cameras, laptops etc. Things a would be thief would see by looking into your car...

I can't believe you seriously thought I meant to remove EVERYTHING! :troutslap:

I mean things like cd player, cd's, cameras, laptops etc. Things a would be thief would see by looking into your car...

I can't believe you seriously thought I meant to remove EVERYTHING! :troutslap:

I think he was being sarcastic. He wants to protect bigger things like his sub and amp which are clearly not easily removable items.

I think he was being sarcastic. He wants to protect bigger things like his sub and amp which are clearly not easily removable items.

Well he should have mentioned that in his original post. Tad hard to give someone good advice when they don't give you all the details.

Though if he wants to protect his sub/amp, he should get a good alarm and forget about the eye candy.

I heard at a CEG meet a while back that the cars without PATS got hit, but the cars with PATS didn't.

Suppose the theives thought the PATS light was a factory alarm.

Well non-PATS cars can be hot wired... PATS won't start without the coded key... unless you have a remote start that is.. :)

As for the scanner... usually paging systems/car alarms come with security lights, my viper 791xv, I have the blue LED in the drivers side pillar towards the bottom.....

Not to mention, I also changed the factory red LED to a blue LED, so I have 2 LEDs that are blue in my car now.... kinda crazy have those blue LEDs both goin when the viper alarm is armed..

Back