• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Valve Cover Gasket

Hey all,
I noticed some oil around my spark plugs a little while ago and bought a new gasket for the valve cover gasket.

I went to install it today and after taking off the valve cover and removing the gasket, I noticed that all the paint is coming off the valve cover (outside and inside) including in the channel where the gasket sits inside the valve cover.

Is this something I need to worry about before I install the new gasket? Should I get it sandblasted or something to take off the paint?

btw, I have a 98 zetec.

I ask this because I'm worried the flakeing paint is going to cause a sealing problem and I'll end up having to replace the gasket again.

Last edited:
give it some time as I don't think there are to many people up and on CEG over night ...

but in general you want gasket mating surfaces clean so I would remove the paint ...

I figured as much, but I don't know how to remove the paint in the groove short of sand blasting. I don't know a sand blaster in my area that can do it, nor how much it would cost.

Back