• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

12v Source

Matty K

Hard-core CEG'er
I'm running a few peripherals in the interior (shift light, etc) and I was wondering what the best source of 12v ACC power is? I'd rather not jam a wire into a fuse opening, and I can't run a line straight from the battery (it needs to be ignition-based), so where should I tap?

Thanks!

if you have a sunroof, that's the best place to start, because it's wired to the ignition coil, just crimp and either solder or just electrical tape it.

Your logic baffles me. Lol.

What color wire is the main ignition, or should I tap it all the way up near the key? And M4gician, where did you tap the sunroof wire?

Your logic baffles me. Lol.

What color wire is the main ignition, or should I tap it all the way up near the key? And M4gician, where did you tap the sunroof wire?

iirc red ... hot all the time, but I don't recall off hand, yes I would pick that up in the column

at the sunroof, or any circuit get a test light and find one that is hot when the ignition is on and that is the one that you want

The, uh, the car has no power right now, as most of it is in pieces. Hence why I'm wiring it up now. Thanks guys, lemme see what I can find.

Do you have the layout of the fuse panel? The Power Moon Roof wire is purple / black and it is in place in the connector (most likely it was in my 95) wether you have a Moon Roof or not. I found it on top of the interior fuse panel in connector #298 pin#8. This is coming from the Power window fuse #21 / 40 amp. You may want to put an inline fuse on your tap wire with a lower amp rating in order to supply proper protection to what ever you are installing. There are several other wires that can be used depending on what options you have, or don't have would be better put.

I would strongly suggest if you don't have the ford cd. You can get one from ebay it has been an immense help to me in adding options that detroit forgot to install like power windows, seats, fog lights, power antenna, and heated mirrors to mention a few. The cd covers the mechanical and service aspects too.

Hope this helps......

Run a relay off your battery and Ignition wire off the steering Colum.

It runs off the starter IIRC and its PURE GREEN. Thats where i wired my wideband into. Works great.

Back