• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SPEC Lightweight Flywheel

JustinCSVT

CEG'er
If you are thinking about this mod, I would greatly recommend it. My car has been in storage for the past 6 weeks but I had a chance to get it out and run it hard on Saturday.

The flywheel really makes the Duratec feel like it's supposed to. The engine just feels much more responsive and the throttle response is great. It spins up very quick to redline in the first two gears.

I think it ranks second in the list of best mods that I have done(behind the Koni kit). The only downside is the rattling noise when the clutch pedal is out.

dose a lightweight flywheel affect drive ability?

the only difference I havee noticed with my spec flywheel and stage 1 clutch is that it is much harder to start out from second gear. Sometimes you come to a light and almost stop, butthen it quickly turns green...starting from second in this situation is harder. Less mass = more likely to stall.

That sound has nothing to do with the flywheel and everything to do with the clutch ;)

I called Spec about it and they say it's due to the lightened flywheel being less able to absorb/dampen the sound duy to the diffrent alloy and 1/2 weight. Can you elaborate on your idea's a bit Trevor?

I have yet to hear of a SPEC owner say that their clutch is absolutely quite ... regardless of flywheel choice ... it's the nature of the clutch to chatter.

I have a Fidanza flywheel, that thing is great! Revs quick and drops just as fast. Im pretty sure both the Fidanza and SPEC both weigh the same at 9lbs. I went with a SPEC clutch though and it does make some noise but no biggy. I would rather hear a little clutch noise than have a slipping clutch.

I have a Fidanza flywheel, that thing is great! Revs quick and drops just as fast. Im pretty sure both the Fidanza and SPEC both weigh the same at 9lbs. I went with a SPEC clutch though and it does make some noise but no biggy. I would rather hear a little clutch noise than have a slipping clutch.
Actually the findaza might be a little lighter, not 100% on that though. I have chatter, if you don't like it push the clutch in and it all goes away ;) From what i've read any performance clutch is going to have a little bit of chatter. I have the Findaza and a spec clutch and there is mild chatter.

Actually the findaza might be a little lighter, not 100% on that though. I have chatter, if you don't like it push the clutch in and it all goes away ;) From what i've read any performance clutch is going to have a little bit of chatter. I have the Findaza and a spec clutch and there is mild chatter.

Fidanza flywheels = SPEC flywheels
They are the same thing!!!!!!!!

My clutch chatter is horrible. Love the clutch, hate the sound.

Next year, new SVT clutch and a SPEC flywheel for me.

It's also from the stiffer springs in the clutch hub. Even the stock SVT clutch had a bit of gear rollover noise when the temps outside in Arizona were really high.

The noise isn't the clutch or flywheel but the backlash between the gears where they mesh in the transmission. A thicker/thinner fluid makes it less/worse and of course how stiff/soft the springs on the clutch hub are.

The engine is not a steady stream of power but 3 combustion strokes per rpm. So everytime one cylinder fires the engine races ahead a tiny bit and then friction and pumping losses slow it down. This is a sort of oscillating effect that causes pressure to load on the transmission gears then slow down. However when the gearsets in the transmission speed up they have momentum. This momentum keeps the "driven gears" moving forward even though the drive gears are now slowing down since with the clutch engaged they are fixed to the engine crankshaft and slow down with it. The driven gear teeth then slap the drive gear teeth and make the rattling noise more properly known as gear rollover.

Unless the gear lash were way out it shouldn't hurt anything other than sound loud.

Use the correct terms

Use the correct terms

Thats somewhat disappointing. I HATE clutch chatter.

We have to straighten out this terminology. THe rattling noise the car makes when in Neutral with the clutch engaged is called gear rollover.

Clutch chatter is FELT not heard and it is a shudder in the car when engaging the clutch from a takeoff. Some spec 3's will have clutch chatter AND gear rollover noise.

As I said before nearly ALL clutches from stock SVT clutch to hiPo clutches will have higher gear rollover noises depending on fluid choice. Meaning a thicker fluid will reduce the noise. Thin factory filled ATF when hot would allow even the stock SVT clutch to have gear rollover noise.
Ford Honey probably would not allow the stock SVT clutch to make much audible noise in neutral.
The stiffer the hub springs in the clutch the more driveline shock transmitted to the trans gears and more noise.

Clutch chatter is usually results of hot spots on the flywheel or pressure plate from uneven material deposition from the disk. Not surfacing a flywheel or using a new pressure plate is almost a sure way to get this unless the exact same disk is used again and there is nothing wrong with the old mating surfaces.

Back