• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ztec

Rich2279

CEG'er
I was considering buying a Ztec Contour and was wondering how everyone likes theirs. I have a Duratec, but wanted an opinion on the 4 cyl.

Yes the Zetec is a good engine, just make sure you get a manual, you'll regret it if you don't.
I don't regret having an atx. I drive it every day, leaned back like the ghetto kids (well, not as bad, just comfortable to me). If I had a mtx, I'm sure I would have had to thrown a new clutch, if not a whole tranny, in it by now because of how hard I drive it. The atx sorta limits how hard you can be on it (assuming you don't neutral drop it or other stupid stuff) so it lasts.
And really, with the few things I have done to it, it has enough power for normal driving. Gas mileage, especially on the highway with the cd4e's overdrive, is very good.
Just get whatever transmission you want. If you do a bunch of stop and go and no racing, there is nothing wrong with an automatic.

yes i agree, i love my zetec esp on the highway. that thing will pick up like there is no tomorrow with that overdrive. :laugh:

I was considering buying a Ztec Contour and was wondering how everyone likes theirs. I have a Duratec, but wanted an opinion on the 4 cyl.

What do you want to use the car for? Daily driver?

I've gotta agree with the rest of the guys, the Zetec gets AWESOME mileage. Daily driving, I get about 25mpg. On the highway it's about 30-32mpg.

The ATX is a real slug in stock form but can be improved.

BP

If its going to be a daily driver, get an ATX then. It lasts. In the past 90k miles, the only thing to go wrong on mine is the VSS which was an easy fix.

I'm not hatin on the ATX, its just if you plan to upgrade it later down the road, you'll get more out of an MTX than an ATX. But the ATX can handle a supercharger, Hector proved that.

ATX = 4 quart drain & fill with every other oil change.

That's what I've been doing and my ATX Contiques have been holding up perfectly.
I don't see why you have to change it that much.

My 96 has 145k on it and only had the fluid changed twice.. (during this time the car wasn't mine.. so don't go calling me stupid).. I change it every 40k, and even then its still red.

The stock ATX cooling system sucks. I think unisys measured it a while ago and it averaged 200-210. That is really bad for the life of your fluid. You really want to average 170-180.

I follow a similar routine to TourDeForce and throw 4 quarts of fresh Mobil1 Synthetic ATX fluid every six months. This is also good because the CD4E doesn't have a filter that you can replace.

My '96 had 140k on it before it got totalled and it was/is still running like a champ.

BP

The stock ATX cooling system sucks. I think unisys measured it a while ago and it averaged 200-210. That is really bad for the life of your fluid. You really want to average 170-180.

I follow a similar routine to TourDeForce and throw 4 quarts of fresh Mobil1 Synthetic ATX fluid every six months. This is also good because the CD4E doesn't have a filter that you can replace.

My '96 had 140k on it before it got totalled and it was/is still running like a champ.

BP
Or add an additonal cooler like I did. I did get the ATX flushed every 20k miles.

You ain't gotta change the fluid too often. I did the 4qt drain and fill x3 maybe a year after I bought it. Maybe a year after that, had to add some when somebody (long story) pulled my axle out. Haven't done it since though it is about time, it still shifts good.
I'd say once a year is sufficient.
I don't have an external cooler either and it gets plenty hot down here. Though I think having a lower temp thermostat helps some with that since the atx fluid runs through the radiator and if you're keep the coolant temp lower than there's probably gonna be a bit less heat in the atx fluid as well.

Ok, what are some good mods. that I can do to the Zetec to get some more power?

On top of the chip to improve shift points and firmness, a CAI and UDP really liven things up.

If you get a Pre-98 with 100k or more, take the intake manifold off and clean it out. I couldn't believe how much crud that the EGR systems leaves in the intake. I had a good 1/16 to 1/8'" lining of rock hard crap in my intake manifold runners.

HTH,
BP

Last edited:
If you get a Pre-98 with 100k or more, take the intake manifold off and clean it out. I couldn't believe how much crud that the EGR systems leaves in the intake. I had a good 1/16 to 1/8'" lining of rock hard crap in my intake manifold runners.
I'll second that! I was shocked at what I found. Thanks for telling me what caused it! It's crusty as far back in as I can stick my finger. What's the best way for cleaning it off the plastic?

Back