• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Manifold replacement

joker2377

CEG'er
Anyone done this? can is be done solo or does there need to be a buddy? is it a Day project? Have to remove anything absolutly rediclous, ie.Trans?

Just trying to get a general Idea of the process as I may be looking into a MSDS or something of the sort. My Cars are starting to poop out and looking for a cheaper way to go about this.

I was just thinking the same thing. Intake or exhaust. I assume your talking about exhaust because you mention the trans, even though the trans runs off the side and isn't in the way of the exhaust manifolds in any way.

98 SVT Contour, MTX-75 Tranny

sorry. =P

and he still forgets to tell us which manifolds hes talking about. LOL!
foreheadslap.gif

Maybe he doesn't understand.

There are two types of manifolds.

1) Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds

2) Exhaust Manifolds

Which were you talking about?

He said MSDS. So i would assume...
..Upper or Lower Intake Manifold, maybe...:laugh: .

Nah, sometimes newbies might not know exactly what terminology to use. Actually, sometimes even oldies do not either. :blackeye: :crazy:

LOL! The guy stated MSDS from the beginning. It just depends on the tools. Their ahve been how-to's posted. Give yourself a full day.

To my knowlage there is not a MSDS air intake.....I am speaking of my Exhaust Manifold

A full day is what I was expecting. I've dropped smaller exhaust off of jeeps, but hell thoes things have so much room to work around. I am a bit of Svt Contour Newbie. I have been reading around the How-To forums and can't seem to find a Exhaust manifold one. But I put the car up on stands Sunday and see that these Manifolds are pretty easy get to. But still am going to b e very cautious

Last edited:
alrighty.... I got the Front Manifold(EXHAUST!) off, entailed of: Dropping Fan, Removed front bumper cover, Oil Filter. took some time thats for sure. Got it all back on and together.

HOW DO I ATTACK THE REAR!?!?!? :mad::help::cry:

for real, do I have to remove the right Shafts, Altinator? I mean what was ford thinking??? Its killin me and I REALLY want to do this myself but that rear one is a bit out of my league.

I did notice a big jump in RPM and response from just replacing the Front. I ended up going with the Eastern version. This did not happen to me, but my Buddie has a 00 SVT Tour and he for got to put on the 1st Bolt back on the manifold. I told him he needs to put it on there. Keeps telling me that the Middle 4 bolts will hold it in just fine............:eek: Whats gonna happen to his motor so I can laugh at him?

I thought the rear was easier than the front. Just get some extensions, a u-joint or 2, and go between the subframe and the floor pan. Pretty much a straight shot to all the nuts.

For me, it helped A LOT to unbolt the alternator. Then it's easy to get to the bolts on the pass. side of the manifold easier. I also removed the coil/wiring harness to get the top ones from top.

Sweet, I will try that out. How much access up top did u get from taking off the Wiring/coil harness?

The stud closest to pass fender, I could get to w/ wrench, but couldn't see it. I was able to see the other 2 top bolts. I used swivel head gear wrenches, BTW.

Back