• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Contour 2000 LX 2.0 L4 ATX Zetec hesitation-whistling problems

ogme

New CEG'er
Hi everyone, I've own this car the last 1 1/2 years. It was 27k miles when I got it and was just fine in the drivetrain, the only problem with it was the A/C (it still is a problem). The last 6 months I step on the gas because of my schedule. Never missed the basic maintenance. I've changed the fuel pump (low pressure), the tensioner pulley (2 times because it was worn), the drivebelt at 32k miles, the alternator pulley (worn) and voltaje regulator (malfunction), refrigerant deposit (leak), oil and oil filter every 2.5k miles, air and fuel filters every 5k miles, last ATX Fluid change was at 35k miles.

Half a month ago I've noticed some lack of power, the engine hesitated at high RPMs in Park and Neutral and my brakes were low, I took it to the dealer and renewed the brake pads and the spark plugs. The hesitation problem is still there, the car starts and runs ok even at full throttle but not as good as the year before. Sometimes the engine makes whistling noises, specially after I step on gas. When I'm in a stop with the A/C on, the car vibrates a bit for 3 seconds, then it idles ok for 5-6 seconds and vibrates again.

I'm planning to change the ATX Fluid again (my car is almost 50k miles now), because I do a lot of engine-braking (I know I should not). But I need some other suggestions to solve the hesitation and whistling problems.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Excuse me for my poor English

Welcome to CEG!

I recommend you have your catalytic converter checked. Sounds like the pre-CAT may be getting plugged.

Welcome :)! Yes, change the ATFluid. We usually suggest 2 years/24K miles interval. Check if you have a vacuum leak. Sometimes an erratic idle (coupled with a whistling sound) could be due to a vacuum leak. Look for broken hoses, loose clamps on hoses, airfilter box not closed properly, etc.

Read these threads.
ATFluid change in Duratec Maintenance Read First.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...992476&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

Catalytic Converter Test in Zetec How to.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=763

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies!

Thank you for your replies!

Hi again! thank you for your replies, I'm going to check the cat, that could be the solution of the lack of power and some hesitation, I forgot to mention I got CEL 8 months ago, so I took the car to a friend's shop and he cleared my board. He said it was an Oxygen sensor. I think this could be a clue, because he told me that the sensor was dirty and he cleaned it, but I've been reading that it should be replaced and should be done with a lot of precautions and I think my friend is not aware of that.

Thanks again for your assistance, I'll check tomorrow for vaccum leaks and maybe change the ATX Fluid (this monday should be done)

P.S: I forgot to add to my worn parts list two sway bar links and other suspension components. This is a sweet ride but I'm getting out of cash :(

...I forgot to mention I got CEL 8 months ago, so I took the car to a friend's shop and he cleared my board. He said it was an Oxygen sensor. I think this could be a clue, because he told me that the sensor was dirty and he cleaned it, but I've been reading that it should be replaced and should be done with a lot of precautions and I think my friend is not aware of that.
Oxygen sensors usually cannot be cleaned. Next time post the exact CEL codes here and you will get better help.

Back