• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Turbo SVT 3.0 @ quarter mile

nice run i think your problem is too much hp and torque on the fwd we have the same problems with high HP fwd cars the full traction works behind 100-150 meters so you lose 1-2 sekonds at the start .

Drag slicks are hard to come by in a size to clear the brakes, most of us with serious power, have pretty good size breaks, recquiring a 17" rim. I've looked for 17" drag slicks, but they are rare, and very expensive. Not to mention, you would run a very good chance of snapping an axle. We've already seen the stage 2 axles bite the dust. And thats without slicks.

Robert

Doing a burn out on street tires before a run is a bad idea. Your tires will actually get greasier like that and you will have less traction. They are not made the same way as slicks.

+1 this is what the terminator guys told me last time i went to the drag strip on street tires. i now have drag radials but have since found out i have to be careful because they grip so good, i might break a halfshaft or my diff :help:

as far as driving around on drag radials all day, plenty of the cobra guys do this. get a whopping 3500 miles out of them on average :help: but i could have sworn i read that street tires are better suited for the street because you dont have the track prep that you drag radials need. dont know if that's accurate or not...

I have given up on quarter mile till I get the right tires it is hard to find drag that will fit our cars. I have searched and looks like you will have to move up on the rim size. I am also looking into putting a larger turbo on the car hoping to bring up the torque to higher range and less turbo surge. I alos think that my XS manual dual boost controller is aloowing my turbo to spike combined with the smaller .63 ar turbine housing. Ir is a ****** trying to find a turbo that will do what I want without changing my fabrication.

I am leaning more to the TO4E with either 61mm wheel or the 67mm wheel

but the 67 worries me on the boring out the compressor housing to thin walls.

but the difference is 60 lb/min or 71 lb/min

almost 100hp difference but worried about to much lag but trying to reduce heat discharge too. Hopefully soon I will have a better setup but as far a street 12-13 psi is perfect on the borderline of controllable.

If you plan on going past 14 psi it will only bite on the track more.

Lag..... you worry too much.

You won't have any lag. You will have a spoolup time that will be higher than where you are at, but lag will be nonexistent. These are two totally different things.

Lets say at 5K rpm any of these turbos will spool to a full 20psi. LAG would be the time it takes you to go from cruise manifold pressure to a full 20psi. And with those turbos you mentioned on your car it would be almost nil, very unnoticeable.

This is different from the spool up rpm. If you punch the gas from 1000rpm idle and watch the boost gauge, the turbo will begin to spool up and pressure will raise a few psi at a time until you hit some rpm where it reaches the set pressure.

THis would be a lower rpm on a smaller turbo and higher rpm on a bigger turbo.
So if 15psi is your goal, on the .63 you might see 15psi at 2800 rpm with no lag. On the larger turbo you might see only 10psi at 2800 rpm with the 15psi being available from 3300rpm or so.

Do you see the difference? :help: I hope at least someone does.
In YOUR case with your wheelspin you would want the turbo to reach full boost later, maybe as late as 4000 rpm so you don't always burn up the tires on the launch. The .82 with a 61mm wheel would be ideal for this IMHO.

I don't understand why noone uses drag slicks for drag racing.

that would require spending money on an additional set of wheels and tire instead of on go fast parts. who really wants to hook up when you can build an awsome dyno machine? Although, drag radials in 17"+ are easy to come by, easier on the driveline and reasonably priced, so this option would be far wiser than full on drag slicks.

Last edited:
Drag slicks are hard to come by in a size to clear the brakes, most of us with serious power, have pretty good size breaks, recquiring a 17" rim. I've looked for 17" drag slicks, but they are rare, and very expensive. Not to mention, you would run a very good chance of snapping an axle. We've already seen the stage 2 axles bite the dust. And thats without slicks.

Robert
Yes they're expensive, but building and turboing a contour ain't exactly cheap. And a contour can't be a drag car and a road course/whatever car at the same time. You don't need the big brakes for drag racing. That will allow for a 15" wheel which has plenty of choices in drag slicks or radials.
And if all you're gonna do is snap axles then you either need to spend the money on having some better ones made or not drag race.
That's of course all IMO.

What constitutes a car as being a "drag car?"

Is it not, a...... car that drag races?

Must you hit 12's to be considered a drag car? 11's? Where is the line that you must cross to become this talked about "drag car?"

I'm just curious if anyone can clear that up, thanks!

Mark

For a contour, I'd say 12's since noone has done it that I know of. Plenty have the power, just someone needs to put it to the ground. And a 12 sec contour could just as easily do good on a road course, etc. with changing a few things (mainly tires). So a 12 sec. contour would not be an all out drag car (if the owner doesn't want it to be). An 11 sec. contour w/o heaps of money in it most likely would be.

Last edited:
clear as mud

Anytime I have ever been to a track...there are few cars running 12's let alone 11's.

You can drag race any car. It's not like he is expecting to win some money for it.

That's my point Stilov, thank you! If he has fun at the drag strip, then that's what matters. Maybe his goal is to run a 12.9 on street tires. That's very possible, and I think there are quite a few cars on here with the potential to. I think I would have done it had I not sold the nitrous due to some other issues I was having. I'll possibly try for that in the spring. :eek:

It just sounds to me, like Burrita and myself have similar interests when it comes to cars. Taking them to the track for fun, but taking unsuspecting people down on the.......... wait, I can't say street here can I? Whoops! And not all of us live within 20 minutes of a roadcourse, nor do we all drool over auto-x. So we picked a Contour for straight line racing, so what?

Mark

well it's funny, but the people talking about how "stupid" it is and how a Contour with that much power is dumb...
are all the ones that have the low powered Contours.

Everyone likes different things...just don't put others down for what they do...you don't know them...you don't know their lives or anything.

My car has a 3L and I feel that it now is too slow and needs more. I love the car and the looks that it gets, especially when you get on it, I wish that I too could turbo it and be in the 300hp+ club maybe soon. who knows. And I wouldn't worry about what others say. There will always be someone that is a negative critic about what you have done.

A "drag car" in my opinion, is a car that has a full drag suspension setup, something made specifically for straight line runs. Usually requires chutes, roll cages, and in some cases some big as* slicks out back. I bought my car for handling, not really to run down the drag strip. Even though that is a lot of fun, and as far as the street thing goes, anyone that says they have never is a lier and a fool. Everyone has at one point in time. I have had my share of "spirited" driving on the streets. But i like my big brakes, and wouldn't give them up just to put some slicks on the car.

The other problem with slicks is fender/bumper clearances. not being able to turn makes it very hard at the end of the track and even the beginning.

As far as the axles go, if u have enough power, it wont matter if ur drag racing or not, if you lay into the power hard enough and shock the drivetrain bad enough, u can snap an axle on the street. the stage 5 axles from DSS are $1700. Many of us have either fun out of funds from the buildup of the motor or are saving to get them. Or just dont think they need them.

These contours obviously arent cheap or easy to build, but those of us who do it, have a passion for the car.

Robert

well it's funny, but the people talking about how "stupid" it is and how a Contour with that much power is dumb...
are all the ones that have the low powered Contours.

Everyone likes different things...just don't put others down for what they do...you don't know them...you don't know their lives or anything.
I sure hope you didn't take my comments as putting down somebody. A contour with a lotta power is not dumb IF you do something with it other than spin.
I'm adding power to my car, but I ain't going overboard with it.

My point is that seems some people are trying to make their cars faster (if I'm not mistaken, that's the point of adding a turbo to a car, right?) and they're trying to drag race them (aren't they at the drag strip?). Seems like you get the best tires and axles,etc. if you're spending all that money on the rest of engine, turbo, etc.

I ain't putting anyone down, just if you like drag racing and spend lots of money on adding power, not getting what you need to put the power to the ground is half-assing it.

And I've seen 10 sec streetable fwd cars and 11 sec street fwd cars w/ full interior,etc. (granted boost is lowered and street tires on it when on the street) and plenty of 12 sec street fwd cars on drag radials that drive to the track as is and run.

And from previous posts from Burrita, he's mentioned that he's going to be looking into ways to get the power to the ground. Sounds to me like he went for the motor setup that he wanted, and is working on getting it to where he wants. Then, he can do what is necessary with the suspension, driveline, tires, suspension, etc. to get it controllable. Just because he doesn't have it all done, all at once, doesn't mean that he's finished. Who is EVER truly finished?

Mark

Did I say he was done?

Not in those exact words... You did say:

Kremithefrog said:
just if you like drag racing and spend lots of money on adding power, not getting what you need to put the power to the ground is half-assing it.

which implies that he is half-assing things, because he took his Contour to a drag strip without a full drag suspension. He just dumped a barrel of money on a motor, turbo, and tuning. Give the guy a chance to work on traction modifications. I know that there are atleast a few of us CEG'ers that don't have super-deep pockets.

Mark

Back