• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How High

Augi

CEG'er
How high is the zetec rev limiter (or has anyone ever tried to find out)? I was with a co-worker of mine and put the car in first, hit the gas pedal (nothing illegal happened here because we were gunning it to get on the interstate) hit 6500 rpm and no rev limiter, I shifted when it hit 6500 and it went up to 7000 before it finally shifted. So how high is the actual rev limiter on the zetec?

yes this seems about accurate. a friend of mine has perfect pitch so he can tell how many rpms a car is running by listening. i was mad and had road rage and floored it haha and he said it was close to 6000 but probably higher. :laugh:

why are you shifting an atx?

We were both wondering where the rev limiter on a Contour was, so I just decided to find out the old fashioned way. Believe me, I don't usually do that, I figure that the factory makes it shift that low for a reason.

Originally Posted by mystiquevltwin
did you use your imaginary clutch??

Well yeah, who doesn't DOGG??

thats how we roll
burnout.gif

I wouldn't recommend shifting the auto trans if its not built that way. There is a 9second street legal Supra on Supraforums that does, but he has a transmission built for that.

It's on the same level as neutral dropping, low and high are made for slowing down in bad weather basically.

It's really not that bad to manually shift an automatic, but it's stupid for the most part. There are cases where you may want to do it other than the usual driving on very steep roads,etc. The only time I did it was when I was in the mountains and needed to keep the rpm's up through corners while braking. It turned out to almost backfire on me though when I went from 3rd to second at too high of a corner speed and engine speed, so the 'power' hit pretty hard, upset the car and due to my lack of driving skills at the time, ended up with me doing a 180 and coming about a foot from going off a cliff.

It's really not that bad to manually shift an automatic, but it's stupid for the most part. There are cases where you may want to do it other than the usual driving on very steep roads,etc. The only time I did it was when I was in the mountains and needed to keep the rpm's up through corners while braking. It turned out to almost backfire on me though when I went from 3rd to second at too high of a corner speed and engine speed, so the 'power' hit pretty hard, upset the car and due to my lack of driving skills at the time, ended up with me doing a 180 and coming about a foot from going off a cliff.

LOLOLOL i shouldnt laugh, but at least you werent hurt :) thank god haha.

It was a little scary at the time. The guy that was in front of me's gf watched it in her mirror, probably scared her more than me. He doesn't post on here anymore but he went back and took pics of the tire marks I left.

I've done a lot stupider stuff since then, but it's all a learning process and now I can do stupid stuff and not spin it. :) I wish I had video from 'drifting' the zetec a couple months ago at about 60 when my crazy brakes (and crap tires) tried to mess me up again. 20 feet of black marks, big cloud of smoke, and a contour going sideways within one lane. Even though the car is slow, I still find a way to have fun in it.

you should have seen Hector and I one night up in chicago. both of us were sideways on the on-ramp. i was in the 'tour and he in the evo. i corrected and went to get around him to give him lots of room and he ended up spinning it back around and came right at me. about 2 feet away he kicks it back around to avoid me. im sure it looked sweet as hell from behind but scared the **** out of us at the time.

Back