• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

miles on original clutch

Rich2279

CEG'er
What kind of miles did everyone get out of the original clutch before you had to replace, if you know? I'm looking to buy a '98 V6 MTX with 98k on the original clutch.

I pulled my clutch at 110,000 miles and it looked awesome, but then again, the internals on my transmission looked new, as well. Don't know if the previous owner had things replaced or not.:shrug:

I'd just be mentally prepared to replace everything if I was buying a used car with about 100,000 miles.

mine finally went out last week at 241xxx miles. there was still a fair amount of material left. one of the springs broke and rotated 90 degrees somehow. :shrug:

118,000 on the original. didn't have much material left on it. (started slipping.. its was done for) but, to be fair, the original owner learned to drive stick on the car, as well as my brother.. lol

135,000 on mine and no problems. As long as you take it easy on the clutch it should last quite a long time.

i just changed my factory clutch yesturday. my car has 70K on the money and i have put about 20K of those miles on it. the clutch looked like it had about 20K in left.

98 V6 SE Sport. 155k when the clutch went. Spring broke, but not much mat'l left. Taught 3 teenagers to drive stick & one was of the fairest of the genders. Not being sexest, but well...

The other contour went also @ about 120k. I believe the clutch was ok, but the TOB froze

Just bought an SVT with 115K and the original clutch and it feels fine. This is my first stick tho, so I hope I don't kill what's left of it :ponder: It's good to see a lot of people getting 200+K, that makes me feel better.

i replaced mine at 120k because i felt like it whe my shift tower bolt broke and the shop descided to take the tranny out.. the clutch was still good at the time...

My '96 had ~139K or so when I sold it and the original clutch was still doing great. Currently @ 106K and this one is fine too so far...

Back