• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I <3 D2's

WorldTour

I Feel More Like I Do Now Then When I First Got He
OK, I didn't even bother cleaning it. And they are adjustable enough to set the sideskirts on the ground. The ride is stiff, but doesn't rattle your fillings lose and the car doesn't pogo. The main reason for this is the progressive rate coilspring (compared to the linear rate spring used by the ground controls) and the 36 way adjustable valving. The shock bodies are also made of billet aluminum and are threaded so they are going to weigh considerable less then most other setups.

So here is a few pics, nothing special, but its all you're getting this close to Spring Zing! :D

d2-side.jpg

The front with wheel on & off:
d2-front-wheel.jpg

d2-front.jpg

The rear with wheel on and off:
d2-rear-wheel.jpg

d2-rear.jpg

Looks good Mark! Still weird seeing you with the silver SVT, especially after just seeing your black one at SZ06, and again when you came down to pickup that nitrous kit. Get that thing cleaned up and take some more pics! :cool:

Mark

So they are progressive? Some thread in the suspension section said they're linear and that the company selling them cheaper (ksport or something) is linear. I know I'd want them to be linear if I was dropping the money on them. Want a soft ride, stay stock.

I know I'd want them to be linear if I was dropping the money on them. Want a soft ride, stay stock.
I can attest to the ride quality. It's a little stiff, but not punishing, not even close. The exhaust drone is much more tiring than the ride quality! And pics do not do justice to the ride height. My SE looked like a 4 x 4 sitting next to it! :crazy: The thing is low enough it won't clear speed bumps.

So they are progressive? Some thread in the suspension section said they're linear and that the company selling them cheaper (ksport or something) is linear. I know I'd want them to be linear if I was dropping the money on them. Want a soft ride, stay stock.

They are progressive, however, they are far from soft. They start off considerably more stiff then your average eibach and increase from there with load. The car has next to no dive under braking and body rolls is almost nonexistant, yet when you hit a bump in the road there is enough give to allow the strut to absorb the impact without bending a wheel or giving you back problems. Simply put the loud "tin can" BANG doesn't happen when you hit a pot hole.
-Mark

I can attest to the ride quality. It's a little stiff, but not punishing, not even close. The exhaust drone is much more tiring than the ride quality! And pics do not do justice to the ride height. My SE looked like a 4 x 4 sitting next to it! :crazy: The thing is low enough it won't clear speed bumps.
I wasn't saying the ride quality wasn't good. I sure hope it is.

Maybe just my young age or something, but if I'm gonna drop the dime on some expensive (or even cheaper) coilovers, I want linear. Not that you can't get very good handling out of progressive springs, I know since I've done it (for very cheap), but if spending good money (weren't they like $1k or something?) I want the best possible. Screw ride quality, I ain't into buicks.

you forget they have 36 way adjustable valving and the shock is designed for the progressive spring so if I want bone jarring rock hard suspension I can have it at the twist of a knob. You can have your linear rate springs, its of little matter because we can go to the track and I can get equal or better performance and still have the option of a comfortable ride after I leave.

geeze all the coil=over threads are making my konikit look like ipoo!

i think i need to step things up but i dont know **** about suspension. i didnt know what a coil over was until my suspension guy explained to how much better it was then my kit

Want a soft ride, stay stock.
I completely misread this last sentence. My mind inserted "I" before "want."
I wasn't saying the ride quality wasn't good. I sure hope it is.

Maybe just my young age or something, but if I'm gonna drop the dime on some expensive (or even cheaper) coilovers, I want linear. Not that you can't get very good handling out of progressive springs, I know since I've done it (for very cheap), but if spending good money (weren't they like $1k or something?) I want the best possible. Screw ride quality, I ain't into buicks.
My original response about ride quality was based on my misread of your first post. :troutslap: That said, I stand by what I said. It is a stiff ride, but not so much so that it becomes unusable as a daily driver.

This is that pricey suspension thats been talked about a couple of times on here correct? Is it worth the $$$?

Not true. Depends on if the kit was made to work together like the Koni Sport kit and BAT kit.
Well it is still better. Assuming similar spring rates and valving, coilovers still have the advantage of adjustability, really useful if you get corner weighed and adjust accordingly. Though in this case the D2s have a higher spring rate and probably better valving as well, which is often the case for other aftermarket suspensions on most cars.

Back