• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Turbo SVT 3.0 @ quarter mile

BurritaSVT

Veteran CEG'er
I went out on test and tune night to see if I could break my old record. But I really hated the fact that I could not get into the gas till third and it still hopped on that gear for a second. I did hot laps and the car just got heat soaked so bad. I ran my best time last race on 10 psi because of the motor pinging at 13 psi thanks to the small turbo. I am doing some research on turbo sizing so the power can be more and more linear. Secon race I ran the best off line but fourth hit so hard it jumped out of gear and locked me out that why I ran a 13.9 @ 98 mph all my 60' were 2.3's. You will notice that first and second is half throttle which you hear the tire break loose when it hit some boost. I ran azenis and ran 12 psi tire pressure and I burned out in second too.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/31c245ad-7aeb-460e-9187-98460167dfe4.htm

with that much power and assuming the car weighs about 3200 lbs you should be running in the 11s. but that would be with a proper launch and traction.

Doing a burn out on street tires before a run is a bad idea. Your tires will actually get greasier like that and you will have less traction. They are not made the same way as slicks.

Keep working on it!you will get 12's shortly.(side comment) I like the part in the video where your friend taping you said "piece of sh*t 350z get out of the way"when he gets in the camera shot.

Cool video. That is why I would never put that much HP in a CSVT, just seems like it takes all the fun out of driving if there is that much traction issues.

Aaron

(side comment) I like the part in the video where your friend taping you said "piece of sh*t 350z get out of the way"when he gets in the camera shot.

Except for the fact they are well built cars ;)

Burrita...comon man...i am going back to the track in a couple weeks with some weight reduction and "as much nitrous as i need" to get into the 12's so you gotta hurry! lol Well...i am taking as much as i need...so long as the motor holds together! Along with my trusty drag radials (which reminds me...i hope i don't break an axle).

IIRC, Keyser ran a 14.1 @ 114 when he owned his 2.5L turbo. That was shortly after he hit ~396whp.

Mark

It's all about traction. With my drag radials i trapped 110mph with a 125 shot. Even with that 125 shot on my 2.5 i still prolly don't have 300whp. I have no headwork done, and i don't have SVT cams. So it will prolly be in 280-290ish range.

BY SOME DRAG RADIALS AND GO BACK!

traction is a problem? you have stage2 axles. get some slicks.

i have soft street tires and i launched on a 12.7 second mustang with nittos on it and only burned out for about 10 feet. this is with a 75 shot on the tires at 4000 (engaged nitrous the same time i let out the clutch) i dont get it. i understand you make a ton more power than me but i cant seem to make my car spin with approx 275 ft/lbs trq and thats about what you make at half throttle from what i saw on your dyno slip? correct me if i'm wrong

99 cougar,I know they are exceptionally well built cars my friend owns one.But thats besides the fact.I just thought it was funny that he said that about the Z because he was so excited to see the csvt run.

My trap speeds are related to traction because I the more time you stay out of the throttle the less distance left to gain that speed. Because the longer I stay in the first three gears the longer I have traveled before end of third. And realize this even at half throttle I reach peak boost since my boost pressure is manifold pressure. The turbo is to small so even half throttle is surgy and after talking to enough turbo builders last week they said that my turbo has a surge problem with the trim I have. So my boost spikes so hard that I ping a hair until the boost rests. I was only able to get into to full boost in one pass. The very first pass I just babied it through the first three gears to see how the car would act. That is why I netted a 108mph at full boost but didn't get into the gas till half the track.

I have broke four axles all stage 2 with less torque so it hard to stay into the gas when it starts hoping knowing I am pushing the limits of the shafts. I know the car will break 12's I just need to get the launch figured out. I know the tires are sticky because when it hops it jams my head back when it lands back to the pavement but that sends it back into a hop again. I will try run 8 psi run to see my 1/8 mile and 60'.

Everyone here sure has some powerful cars and still have traction issues. But guys try to plant 500ft of torque to pavement when it surges like nitrous at once.

I am going back this wednesday to try again I am adjusting to the new found power I have now. Oh I also can't run past 6200 rpms because my turbos falls out completely so I shift to fifth before the finish line which hurts me real bad too.

You should be running the azenis way higher than 12psi... They are not slicks or drag radials which are gonna give you more traction the lower you run them...
Also I would do much smaller burn outs on the azenis you don't have to heat them up that much... You are actually heating them up too much making them less sticky...

Also try out a second gear launch it might help you out

BTW your car sounds awesome :)

I'm pretty sure DemonSVT said he was running better times with short shifting out of 1st, as that non-traction area in the upper rpm's isn't getting you anywhere, and gives you a better starting point in 2nd at lower rpm because you aren't banging 2nd at high rpm, causing more wheel spin.

And for the record, I think I had less traction issues at ~300whp than a lot of people do with 190whp. I hear a lot of people saying they have problems, even in 2nd gear. Right now at 206whp, my tires won't do much but a small bark into 2nd. Koni's set to full stiff, and some STICKY tires. 225/45/17.

Mark

Back