• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How to tag an off-road Tour for on-road use

jkpq45

New CEG'er
Hey all,

There's a really sweet 98 svt for sale in FL that apparently"cannot be tagged for street use".

Ford created it, sent it to Roush for performance mods, then it went to a performance driving school where it spent the last 9 or so years in track duty.

The car was never issued a title and has all its emissions equipment removed--I can fix the exhaust, but how do I title it?

-jkpq45

Hehe, said car has been talk about on here from time to time. Its beaten to hell, I wouldn't want to DD it..

Hehe, said car has been talk about on here from time to time. Its beaten to hell, I wouldn't want to DD it..
You're thinking of the Saleen Contour. I've heard of the Roush ones but didn't know they were tagged for offroad use only...

OP is talking bout the boundarant contours. They have been beaten on, but if I got one cheap enough, I'd drive it. And figure a way to tag and title it.

You would be better off checking with your local DMV. Some DMV's might allow a car to be titled after it passes emissions & safety inspections. Others might not allow it to be titled at all. It all depends on what they did to the car to make it "OFF ROAD USE ONLY".

If I wasn't allowed to title it easily (though with south georgia's slack rules, I probably could). I'd just buy a junk contour slap its VIN on there. Just keep it on the dl.

The environment cares.

CryingIndian.jpg

Last edited:
"The driving position is perfect, and the thick leather-wrapped steering wheel magically melds with the driver's hands. Sporty white-faced gauges have black needles and markings that glow red after dark."

???? :confused: ????

My Car has green glowing guages with red needles against white. Anyone have red guages??

possible to tag it as a salvage (and then as a rebuilt?)

I'm no law expert, but it seems that something along those lines should be feasible.

There are ways to get a title... if the car has a VIN (it should), then a dealer that buys from auctions should have the know-how on getting a title made up.

Cars like theft recoveries won't have a title if the owner never claimed it, so one has to be made after it's purchased at an auction. Oh, and gov't vehicles also... they don't have titles until the first non-gov't owner gets one made.

If I bring a car back from overseas (like any Euro spec or a new US spec), it won't have a title either, so one will have to be made up for it. If it's less than 25 years old, and US spec, it will have to have a sticker saying it "meets all federal safety and emissions specifications for the date of manufacture listed above."

Probly all they do is check the VIN against a stolen car database, then charge a buttload of tax (probly a percentage of what it cost new, or what it's book value is) and issue a title.

these cars aren't issued vins, they are like the those new racing mustangs you can order from ford racing for like 100 grand. no vins mean no title. I wouldn't try grafting on vins from other cars like chop shops do, if you get busted your in big trouble, plus you will need a title to be able to get rid of the other car since I believe by law now they all have to be traced, i could be wrong.

but really why would you post it on the internet and ask us, just do what you want. most peeps by those for collection or turn them into cheap weekend racers like autocrossers,etc.

funny is it really an svt since it can't be verified w/o a vin or an se with roush stuff and an svt body kit :shrug: .

The cars should have some identification number... otherwise there would be no way to tell if it was stolen or not.

Even if it doesn't have a VIN, it can always be issued one. IIRC, if you piece together a vehicle that has a certain percentage of parts from more than one car, or it has a damaged/removed VIN plate, you have to apply for a new one.

Would be easy to get one, car is 100% compatible with a Contour, so if they removed the emissions... easy! Get a full SVT exhuast! Safety equipment... easy! Get some airbags from a junkyard Contour! Lexan windows... easy! Get some from a junkyard Contour!

They are issued id info persay from ford that certifies them has for racing vehicles only that means they cannot not be titled for street use. if you swap over vins from another contour then you can do it, it's just not legal. I came of incorrect, they aren't issued regular production vins, but regular paper work with id # identifiying them ha factory race prepared vehicles, the stipulation for this is they can never be street driving, given production vins and factory/birth paperwork that wouldenable it to be titled.

I'm sure this as been an issue for collectors of old race cars and factory prepared cars from the past. If there is a loop hole I hope he can find it.

Back