• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

headers

NiggShevik

CEG'er
Pretty sure i know the answer to this but:

are the msds headers legal in CA? or is there something that needs to be removed which makes them not pass smog? thinking about sticking some in if its reasonable. Just need a clarification please.

Pretty sure i know the answer to this but:

are the msds headers legal in CA? or is there something that needs to be removed which makes them not pass smog? thinking about sticking some in if its reasonable. Just need a clarification please.

No, they are not legal unless they come with a CA ODB2 CARB (assuming you have a 96 and up tour) compliant sticker which I believe they don't. You will not pass visual.

When and if you install them, you would also need to invest in some MIL's to override the "Check Engine" light. Depending on how well maintained your car is, you might be able to pass the sniffer test with the headers. Just make sure it's nice and hot before you have them test it. Again, it's the visual part of the test that you have to worry about.

what about removing the resonator? or what about only a y-pipe and exhaust? im just trying to go through my options

You will pass the sniffer test fine with headers and a Y-Pipe.

The visual becomes a problem but rarely do places do a hard core visual unless you are sent to the state referees office.

so i can remove the resonator, install a y-pipe and install exhaust legally? the only thing illegal are the msds headers?

so i can remove the resonator, install a y-pipe and install exhaust legally? the only thing illegal are the msds headers?

You are not supposed to change to a non-factory cat. I have a Sho-Shop Y with hi-flo cat and I passed fine. Only certified techs are allowed to change out a CAT on a car in CA. They are supposed to fill out a form when replacing it and it should be kept with the records of the car. You can use the factory cat with an aftermarket Y-pipe.

I had mine installed professionally and the shop did not question it. Best $100 I ever spent as it was welded up and at the Ford factory the assembly line worker stripped one of the manifold bolts so a new one had to be installed. I got off lucky on a $100 bill as it took about 2hrs for a normal 30-minute install.

With a full cat-back & Y-pipe plus Mirko Intake & BAT intake pipe I dyno'd a whopping 174.6 HP. About 8-10HP over stock and for the $1,000 I spent I don't think it was worth it. I currently have a stock exhaust plu Y-Pipe and I'm very happy with the sound as it no longer calls attention to my car. A little louder than stock.

Y-Pipe + Install $325
Exhaust $500
Mirko filter + MAF $80
BAT Pipe $50

i had WR headers and Trubendz high flow cat. it was tuned (no mils) and it passed smog no problem. you cant really see the headers on this car unless you know to look for them. the high flow cat looks pretty much just like a stock one. most shops dont even look there unless youre throwing some kind of code.

thanks you all have been very helpful. car is getting diagnosed right now, fixed, then tuned up! 90k ! no tune up all stock parts! cant wait for change. But i have another issue about the resonator...it's been suggested to me (by friends who don't have contours, only rice rockets and v8s) that removing the resonator will make it sound like a ricer... i dont want that sound. I'd like it to sound as throaty but quiet as possible. Some people like that sound, but i dont think its worth even the low price unless there's some power gain. So is there a noticeable power gain when removing the resonator, or does it just make the car sound obnoxious?

thanks you all have been very helpful. car is getting diagnosed right now, fixed, then tuned up! 90k ! no tune up all stock parts! cant wait for change. But i have another issue about the resonator...it's been suggested to me (by friends who don't have contours, only rice rockets and v8s) that removing the resonator will make it sound like a ricer... i dont want that sound. I'd like it to sound as throaty but quiet as possible. Some people like that sound, but i dont think its worth even the low price unless there's some power gain. So is there a noticeable power gain when removing the resonator, or does it just make the car sound obnoxious?

i noticed an immediate difference with the resonator removed, and i also enjoyed the new exhaust note.

Removal of resonator will make the car loud and cause rasp when cold and drone on the highway.

Add a Y-Pipe & hi-flo cat & keep your stock exhaust.

I passed with flying colors with MSDS headers and y-pipe and Borla exhaust. The headers are VERY hard to see once installed... just dirty them up so they ain't so shiny! The exhaust note is amazing, too... ask Ary, he's heard my car. I'm still running the stock cat with 84k on it.

i'm going for as throaty of a sound as possible. as close to stock seems like my best option. I cannot stand that obnoxious raspy howl that happens to cars when people mess around with their exhaust. I'll try the highflow cat and y-pipe for now with the stock exhaust.. nice and conservative. i'll take a look at that magnaflow res you're talkin about... not talkin about the cat right?

The resonator is a restriction as it is smaller diameter than the rest of the exhaust system. Replacing it with a lager pipe size muffler does help and the right one does improve the tone without generating rasp. Personally, I really like the improved tone of replacing the resonator with as long of a glass pack as will fit, but eventually the glass will pack up or blow out and it will sound as loud as if it were a straight pipe.

Back