• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Problem with the Contour

SVThopeful

CEG'er
My Contour will not run and it's making a rattling noise in the engine. We took it down to the Roush/SVT garage and they can't find anything wrong.
Any ideas? Here's what we have done so far.

Powertrain actions taken prior to current condition:

Replaced spark plugs (Bosch), wires (Ford Racing)
Replaced air filter (Fram)
Replaced fuel pump (BAT)
Replaced fuel filter
Replaced MAF
Cleaned IAC valve; replaced gasket
Cleaned Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds

======================================

Car stumbled a bit at WOT and stalled occasionally on decel and at stop lights.
· Ran diagnostic check and found lean condition in both cylinder banks; updated to most recent calibration
· Air leak so severe that car was unable to compensate electronically with enough fuel
· Checked all vacuum hoses and replaced both upper and lower intake manifold gaskets and IMRC bushings/grommets

Car seemed to run marginally better, but scan found no appreciable improvement in air leak.

Car then began running very poorly – misfire? – stumbling and down on power.

Disassembled intake manifold again down to the lower gasket, thoroughly cleaned all surfaces; reassembled IMRC and manifold.

Upon start-up, there was no improvement -- the car ran just as poorly. After a couple of seconds with moderate throttle, a metallic rattling noise occurred, seemingly in the rear of the passenger side of the engine – and the car stalled.

Trailered the car to SVT garage.

At the garage:

Rattling upon start-up (and stalling thereafter) continued.
No error codes registered.
All but one spark plug looked good, with one not physically damaged but covered in oil.
The camshafts/lobes/followers all looked fine.
A leak-down test was negative – the engine is tight.
The secondaries are thoroughly coated with carbon.
Upon looking into the cylinders, there is no evidence of internal damage.
When spinning the engine by hand fast enough to create oil pressure (but w/o ignition), there was no rattling noise.

Sounds like it threw a rod bearing.

If the rattling doesn't go away as you rev the engine, then it's probably it.

Last and most definite way to check is to pull the pan, oil pick-up tube and windage tray of and then look for bluing around the base of the rod and looseness as you try and wiggle the rod.

Keep telliing yourself that - it always sounds like it's coming from up top.
I've seen heard a bnch of bown Duratec's they all sound like a loud lifter tap - but it's far worse.

Pull the pan & quit playing.

Listen to this guy. Pull that pan and you'll have your answer within minutes.

I'm surprised the Roush guys didn't yank the pan yet anyway... who was working on it with your dad, Keith?

I'm surprised the Roush guys didn't yank the pan yet anyway... who was working on it with your dad, Keith?

Keith and Kyle. I will talk to them about it the next time I am down there.

same thing happened to me also. sounds like a lifter when it was a rod bearing. pull the pan and wiggle each rod. you'll find out real quick which one it is.

1957Red-headed_Vulture.jpg

sounds to me that it may have something to do with timing, crankshaft/camshaft sensor, next time you try to start it put your accelleraror half down, if it sounds like it wants to start, thats probably where id start , had a problem similar to yours, also had found oill in number one cylinder plug, which was plugged pcv valve so oil vapours would travel through throttle body , and into combustion chamber, that pinging noise in mine was because crankshaft / or camshaft sensor couldnt locate top dead center, i replaced both and now fine. just another option, good luck

I'll tell you why Keith and Kyle didn't pull the pan, lol . . .

Back