• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need suspension advice

lightngsvt

CEG'er
I have a 98.5 SVT that needs some suspension work with 84k on the clock. I have a bent rear trailing arm and my rear springs are cracked causing the rear to sag (its actually at a good ride height now). I was going to order new struts / springs from BAT, Inc possibly tomorrow and wanted some advice as to which kit is best? My car is my DD all year around in MI so it cant be slammed. I was going to get the BAT sport kit, but for $60 more I could get the Bilstien kit instead. I know Bilsteins are great but are they harsh on the street? How are the SPAX? The price is very tempting.

Is there a source through CEG for OEM parts? I want to order both rear trailing arms so that both sides are fresh and would rather give business to a forum supporter.

I have some used rear arms if you are interested. Im talking cheap + shipping. Have about 72,xxx miles on them.

If you decide not to go new to save $$$, drop me a PM.

EDIT: Sorry, these are not trailing arms. I have rear control arms. Nevermind!

It's very unlikely that your trailing arms are bent. In my 10+ years of working on these cars, I've never seen a trailing arm bent unless you're referring to the bend which is supposed to be there! There's a kink in them to clear the tire/wheel assembly.

Are you possibly referring to the toe control arms (rearward lateral control arms)? They bend if you breath on them...

I thought they were the trailing arms? They are the long, thin arms that go from the wheel to the center mounting point under the rear of the car. My pass side looks like someone tried to jack the car up with it, it is not straight like the drivers side. I'm assuming they have bushed ends which is why I though of replacing both at the same time.

Any opinions on which is "better" for a DD SVT with the BAT springs, the SPAX, BAT or Bilstein?

The trailing arms run front to back. The mount on the front of the spindle and run forwards towards the front of the car.

The main control arms are the big arms that run from the spindle to the middle of the car (run side to side).

The rear control arms run parallel to the main arms, are the furthest to the rear, and are very thin.

And I have rear control arms for sale if you want them. :laugh:

I believe you're referring to the toe control arms. They're the arms you see if you look under the rear of the car. They are a flat blade type with a rubber bushing at each end.

Only better pieces you can get are my tubular ones. Now I could direct you to the old suspension forum thread c/w pics but its' gone now. At least that's my (limited) understanding...

Last edited:
3 months later, car still hasnt been fixed. Im to the point where Im going to trade it in or just fix it. Overall the car is very nice and has been super reliable. So does this seem like a real;istic shopping list?:

4- struts
4- springs (BAT Kit $599)
4- strut mounts $180 BAT?
1- rear toe control arm Dealer?, $??.??
2- sway bar end links $??.??
4 wheel alignment $75
balance / rotate tires $30
labor +/- $300???

Back