• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

shaking on startup

hotdimmes

Hard-core CEG'er
Today, I started my car this morning at around 7am. I'm usually parked in a parking garage in the morning but I was outside this time. The weather has changed from being really cold to nice and warm. I have a k&n ru3530. Just wanted to describe all the variables.

So I start the car, and it immediately starts vibrating harshly. The whole car. The idle eventually drops, I rev a few times and it went away. What the heck happened??

sounds a lot like a misfire...

weather also does have an adverse effect on cars but I know thats a distant and unclear explanation. I would say just pay attention to it and if it does it again then you probably should start worrying about it.

Is ther ea CEL on? Did anything else happen at the same time?

Mine has always done that occasionally. Seems to be mostly in colder weather though. It just runs like that for about 10 secs and then all is good. And the exhaust smells a little funny when this happens also.

Yep, had this problem on several occassions:

1.) Dirty IAC
2.) If you've done the TB fix, the hole may need to be a bit larger. I had the smaller dimension bored in when I was stock. After a few mods, my idle seemed very rough. Bored it larger and now it works like butter.
3.) Misfire. Had a fouled out sp.

Good luck!

Back