• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

O2 Sensor?

Dustin

New CEG'er
My 95 GL Zetec is running like crap. I replaced the MAF sensor, cleaned the intake, checked vacuum everywhere. Replaced fuel filter, ran injector cleaner through, changed oil, air filter. New plugs, wires.

I can unplug the O2 sensor and nothing happens. I can unplug the MAF and nothing changes. Take the entire intake off from the throttle body and nothing changes. Is this an O2 sensor problem? (One on the exhaust manifold). Exhaust manifold had a crack, but it was repaired. Also, how would I check the coil pack?

And how tight are these *******s supposed to be? I can barely fit the wrench in there, but still it's tighter than hell! WTF?! :)

Any suggestions?

first and foremost, do u have a CEL? if so, bring it to autozone or something and get the codes pulled and post them here. then the problem will probably be clearer :)

P0171 - System Too Lean Bank 1
P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire

P0113 - Intake Air Temp Circuit High Input. <- It shows slightly higher than ambient temperature on the diag flow (70*F).

HO2S B1S1- Too Lean
HO2S B1S2- Too Lean

Those were the codes that it gave me.

well my guess is u probably have an O2 censor problem (seeing as u said ur MAF is all set and u have no vacuum leaks) but it doesnt seem thats the only thing. like u said, ur probably lookin at a coil pack. theres a how-to in one of the recent threads about how to check the coil pack but i cant remember where...try searching for it...

Couldn't find the post on how to check the coil pack in the new forums or the old ones.

But, I still can't get the O2 sensor off the damn manifold. I'm soaking it in WD40 right now...

go to autozone and borrow the O2 sensor socket and a ratchet

it comes right off with the socket.

My 95 GL Zetec .... I replaced the MAF sensor, cleaned the intake, checked vacuum everywhere. Replaced fuel filter, ran injector cleaner through, changed oil, air filter. New plugs, wires.

I can unplug the O2 sensor and nothing happens. I can unplug the MAF and nothing changes. Take the entire intake off from the throttle body and nothing changes. .....Any suggestions?

1995 OBD-I
171 (M) Oxygen sensor not switching - system was at adaptive limits - Single, Right or Rear HO2S

Check for wiring, connector or test O2 sensor.

304- Don't know what this code is. Buy the $35 Ford Actron OBD-I code reader and get the CEL codes read again.

113 (O,M) IAT sensor is/was high or open

Check for wiring, connector or test IAT sensor.

My 95 GL Zetec ....
HO2S B1S1- Too Lean
HO2S B1S2- Too Lean

Those were the codes that it gave me.
You have a 1995 OBD-I. You should not have a HO2S B1S2 (Bank 1 Firewall side lower sensor). Buy the $35 Ford Actron OBD-I code reader and get the codes again.

Sorry, I have a 96 Contour. I must be eatting too much and getting the fat sausage fingers! :)

I'll head to Autozone and pick up a tool to get this SOB out. And try and find the IAT sensor.

Sorry, I have a 96 Contour. ....I'll head to Autozone and pick up a tool to get this SOB out. And try and find the IAT sensor.
Check the condition of the wiring harness before you do anything else.

Wiring harness fine. Replaced the O2 sensor and still not running good. Replaced coil pack. Same thing...

It just runs rich. No vacuum leak anywhere. All manifolds have no leaks, intake not leaking anywhere. This is driving me insane! :crazy:

IAT Sensor was bad. New one gets here on Tuesday.

Didn't show any resistance, checked continuity and there wasn't any.

$21.

Back