• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil return

RawBurt

Hard-core CEG'er
This is directed for the turbo'd contours. I have been going back and forth for awhile now on where to tap for the oil return. I understand that the ideal location would be the block. But I am having a difficult time seeing it possible getting a drill in there even with the header off.

Anyway, my question is where do you have you oil return line tapped? Pan or block? And if your answer is the block, was the motor in or out of the car? Pics are helpful.

Edit, quick answers are appreciated, I would like to accomplish this after work today.

The pans fine. Block is better, but the pan is completely fine. Not all 6-6.5 quarts are in the pan at the same time, don't think its ever been an issue between adc kits and vortech guys.

There's a raised portion in the front of the pan. Basicly just below were you would have tapped the block.

you will be fine tapping the pan, where stated above, as high as possible. that is where mine is going to be tapped, unless you at some very odd angle sitting with your car running you won't have any problem.

So we are saying tap it in spot "1"? I'm almost positive the deader is in the way leaving you with spot "2" which isn't the highest spot ever.

untitled.jpg

untitled.jpg

i am planning on tapping spot "1", doesn't matter if the header is in the way because you will need to drop the pan to tap it. well, unless of course the header will hit the fitting return line when installed? will it?

Last edited:
I'm aware of that. I'm saying that there isn't enough room between the header and the fitting. Lots of heat right there for a rubber hose.

The spot that vortech taps is to the far left of the pan on the front. It's tapped in the thin part near the corner. It's just to the left of the AC compressor sheild. Works great for me.

Hey Rawburt, you suck....

But if you can write up a good How-To with the pics you've taken, I would be more than happy to host it for you over at ChicagoCEG for others to reference.

Get it to me in whatever type of format you can from start to finish, Then we can work on formatting it over AIM.

I'm aware of that. I'm saying that there isn't enough room between the header and the fitting. Lots of heat right there for a rubber hose.
Well... don't use a rubber hose. SS braided handles 300*F and kevlar braided handles 500*F. There is also thermal shielding for hoses.

Interested in seeing more pics of install points and of fittings that people used. I am taking forever to install my kit because I cannot decide what fitting and where I want to tap either.

Back