• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

consequences of improper tire rotation

zetec herman

CEG'er
What would be the worst thing that could happen from improperly rotating tires?
Would the tires just wear prematurely? I took the backs and put them on the front and put the fronts on the back. But I think I criss-crossed the backs instead of the fronts. Now I'm worried that it'll cause a blowout. Am I worrying too much?

Unless your tires are "directional" (rotationally oriented to channel water away from the center and towards the outside of the tire) then; yes.. you are worrying too much.

If you have directional tires then you shouldn't "criss-cross" ANYTHING.. only go front to back.. regular radial tires should be swapped, but you are fine if you swapped the crossed the fronts ...

My tires don't have arrows on them.. but on all 4 tires, the tread moves like this " / " from left to right. Means one side must be wrong.. can't be right :laugh:

I don't think their directional radial.

My tires are Dayton Quadra SE's (P185/70R14)

But I did switch the fronts around. Now I have LR on RF, LF on RR, etc.

In theory, non-directional radials can be swapped from side to side.

In actual practice, rarely, reversing the rotational direction on a used tire will cause a problem.

Most tire and repair shop follow the practice of not crossing radial tires unless there is a need to avoid even this rare problem.

Back