• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pioneer Premier DEH-490ib ..... early review

IRingTwyce

I ROCK at bumper cars!
Graham, TX: a place so nice, they rob your house t
Purchased: 3/26/07
MSRP:
$200
Amount spent: $164 shipped
Rating: 4.5 out of 5.0

Manufacturer's page

Background: I recently installed this HU in my '96 Zetec. I was originally looking for something with the following attributes: no more than $100, green lighting, CD, Sirius ready. While there were plenty of units with exactly those characteristics, I couldn't find anything I truly liked. The lower the cost, the cheesier the displays got. Goofy LCD graphics for volume, or sound field, or source, to try and hide the fact it was a budget unit w/o 2 display lines or EL display. I definitely wasn't happy with a single display line, as Sirius is on the way and I enjoy being able to see artist AND song info at the same time, like I can on my Clarion unit. Ditto for newer CDs too. So I began revising my spending limit upward. I finally set a limit of twice my original intent. $200 was the new ceiling. After searching and reading for hours on end, I finally decided on the DEH-490ib. This unit is virtually identical to the base Pioneer DEH-4900ib. The main differences are a darker finish to the plastic, higher voltage on the pre-outs, and a two year warranty versus one year. I felt it was worth the added $20-$25 for these few things.

PROS: Let me begin by saying this unit looks FAN-FREAKIN'-TASTIC! It is super sleek. Buttons are well laid out, and logically placed. The source/volume knob is large and easy to grasp. Even better, the grey finish of the unit matches the pre-98 surround almost PERFECTLY! There is just a shade or two difference. With the unit turned off, it honestly looks like a fancy factory unit. Once it is turned on though, the bright blue lighting immediately says otherwise. Again, I cannot stress how great this unit looks with our (pre-98) dashes!

The unit is pretty easy to operate. It comes with two Aux inputs, three sets of pre-outs, and includes the iPod adapter (sold seperately for $40ish in the lesser models). It can control pretty much everything, from sat, to TV, CD changers, iPods, and is even bluetooth capable with an adapter. All the output and sub controls are there as well: selectable high-pass filter, selectable sub frequency. The FM receiver is one of the best I've found. If you live in the boonies, you'll appreciate its ability to pull in weak stations.

The display itself is very sleek. It has two scrolling lines w/ a full 16 characters/line, compared to most units' 8 to 12 characters. There are no goofy LCD graphics, just a clean, shiny, bright blue display. EL graphics also tend to be busy, distracting, and sometimes plain stupid. So I really like the clean LCD look.

CONS: That bright blue display is BRIGHT!!! The dimmer control is not adjustable, and dims the display so slightly that I had to turn the lights of and on a half dozen times while staring at the unit to even tell if it was dimming. It was. Just barely.

Buttons. Ahh buttons. The preset, clock, and sub buttons are Tee Eye Enn Why, TINY! The size itself is not so much a problem for pushing the right button as it is in being able to see what the lighted button says. The lighted buttons are so bright, and the writing so small that it is really just a blue blur at night. Once you know what each button is, it isn't too much of a problem, and it's not a problem at all during the day.

The only other thing I can think of is the lack of a mute or pause button on the face. The buttons are there on the remote, but not on the unit itself. It hasn't been that big a deal to me yet. The mute button is more of an issue for me than the pause. It takes A LOT of turns of the knob to raise and lower the volume, so omitting a mute button was pretty stupid IMO. I'm living with it, and usually just turn the unit off if I need quiet for a few minutes.

CONCLUSION: I can't comment on anything regarding subwoofer control and use, as I haven't installed subs yet. I don't see anything at this point that could or will be a negative comment there.

Bottom line, I love this unit. I made some compromises from my original wants/needs, mainly in price and lighting. I am perfectly happy with those compromises, as I have picked up a superbly capable unit with a sleek modern look that doesn't have a distracting and/or cheap display.

1004440or7.jpg

1004442nl8.jpg

So there's no dimmer settings under the menu you get to when the unit is off (same one where you set the clock in)?

My [older] OEL display has a dimmer menu setting of 0-15. It also has a seperate one, like you were talking about, that dims it MAYBE 1 of those 15 steps when the headlights are on. Total waste of the dimmer circuit! I liked the older HUs that actually lit up the buttons via the car's dimmer so they dim with your guages.

Now the contacts are getting worn for the face, and randomly I'll hit a bump and the lights for the buttons will go out :mad:

And WHA? Got rid of the pause button? WTH is that crap?

Last edited:
I have a Sirius receiver on the way. Once I get it, install it, and live with it for a few weeks, I'll update.

BDK, I've messed around with the settings, and it appears there is no adjustment feature for the dimmer. :( And I have no idea what they were smoking when they omitted the mute and pause on the face. The higher models don't even have preset buttons on the face! Just four or five buttons TOTAL to access menus and some features. While they look really nice, they're not very practical or user friendly.

i actually just installed this same HU into my pre98 about a month ago as well. i absolutly love it except for the above mentioned lack of a mute button. the blue lighting matches my dash and gauge lights almost perfectly.

Pioneer all the way! This is mine, they aren't bad at night being as low as they are on the dash in our cars. Plus mine has a Dimmer for when you turn your lights on, I'm sure that one does too.

2528810_13_full.jpg

If you go into the setup menu you can make it dimmer, there is a brightness setting in the main setup menu when you have the deck off...

Not with this unit. There is the dimmer on/off setting from the main setup menu with power off. That is the only dimmer setting this HU has. There is no adjustable setting. It's all or nothing. I've gotten used to it. I just try not to look directly at it while driving at night. Still gives off a hell of a glow though!

Not with this unit. There is the dimmer on/off setting from the main setup menu with power off. That is the only dimmer setting this HU has. There is no adjustable setting. It's all or nothing. I've gotten used to it. I just try not to look directly at it while driving at night. Still gives off a hell of a glow though!

damn.... I guess I'm more used to the DEH-x800 and DEH-x900 series more, never put a 490ib in yet.... which I doubt I will since this store only sells the DEH-x900 series now... unless someone brings one here for install.... Usually pioneer has that nice brightness setting, kinda stupid selling point for them to take it away I'd think, just for situations like this where it's wayyyy to bright.... Kinda surprised that your car dimmer won't adjust the brightness... hmmph...

Looks like a nice deck other wise....

Back