• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Letf axle question

You did remove the LCA ball joint from the knuckle first, didn't you?

Otherwise, a prybar will work (that's what I used). If all else, there is a specific tool that fits on a slide hammer that can be "rented" from Advance Auto and others. Also, a brass drift and a 2 lb sledge can work wonders....

Steve

Yeah, the joint is out, i got the right axle out easily, but that one is just stuck. On the right everything else is removed and im thinking abouth droping the tranny with the axle (one of my friends will hold it so that it wont get any damage) will that work out?

We are about to put the tranny back in. do you have any tips for that?
also, we just bolted the clutch with the new pressure plate. however, the flyweel had someking of bluish stains/spots. we cleaned it very well, but the bluish coloration was still there, when we put the clutch. the surface of the flywheel is very smooth though. do i need to resurface it, change it. is it a must, or just a good idea to...let me know ASAP. thanks big time for the help.

There are a lot of different opinions about this. Many say that the flywheel should always be resurfaced when the clutch is changed, especially if there are signs of excessive heat (blue color).

Some say that all that is needed if the clutch was smooth in it's operation before tear-down is to scuff it up a little to help the fresh disc bed in. A sanding disc works great.

If it's got blue spots on it, you should replace it.

Uneven heating may lead to warpage and you probably don't want to pull the transmission again to replace a warped flywheel.

Steve

Back