• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

PCV, IMRC, or other?

The Iglooman

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Hey all,

I have a 97 Mercury Mystique 2.5L which for the most part has been a pretty reliable car. I change the oil at 3000 mile intervals and keep the car in a garage most nights.

I recently had my flex pipe, mid cat, and pcv valve hose replaced at the local Midas shop. After the visit I noticed a high frequency clicking noise under most acceleration above 2000 rpm. One of my friends suggested it could be the pcv itself and another suggested it could be the IMRC. My maintenance CD tells me that the IMRC does not come into play until about 2800 rpm, so I am reluctant to conclude that is the problem.

Any thoughts as to what this problem might be?

Last edited:
Welcome :) . Have them check for leaking exhaust. They probably did not not tighten some bolts to specs and a gasket is leaking.

high frequency, under acceleration (load) can be:
heat shield for the exhaust

leaking gaskets (y-pipe, cats, etc) (more like a ticking/rattling/popping)

wheel bearing (though usually hum, instead)

CV joint, though is louder and wheel speed dependant(gets faster as you do) Usually pops/clicks under heavy loads, and turning, though.

A bad plug wire/boot would cause arcing and you "can" hear it, though not loudly. Should provide a rough idle, or some studdering/driveability problems if it is bad enough, though.

I would NOT look to your IMRC, though.

Back