• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

VSS sensor

striker2

Official CEG Vendor
i have a 97 2.0 MTX with 241xxx miles and my clutch finally went out.

i have found a trans from a 95 nearby for a good price and figured i might as well replace the whole thing and upgrade while im at it. my question is if the trans is from an early 95 it had a cable driven speedo, would i be able to just pull the cable sensor and replace it with mine or no?

if i can then i will go ahead and get the trans and upgrade. if not then i will just replace the clutch.

"my question is if the trans is from an early 95 it had a cable driven speedo, would i be able to just pull the cable sensor and replace it with mine or no?"

No. The PCM won't accept it.

why wont it accept it? i would be using my original vss sensor. does it even fit in the hole?

...on an MTX.Again members are being fed trash info!ALL Contours have a VSS..BUT early Contours have a VSS and a cable drive mech speedo.The VSS is for the PCM re cruse etc.The early VSS had a 'thru' design...On top of the VSS was a connection for a mech speedo cable.A late type vehicle WITHOUT a mech speedo cable,can accept the early trans as long as the correct VSS is fitted...and vice versa.A late trans can be fitted into say a 95 if you fit the 95 level VSS...real rocket science eh!!!!TH

...on an MTX.Again members are being fed trash info!ALL Contours have a VSS..BUT early Contours have a VSS and a cable drive mech speedo.The VSS is for the PCM re cruse etc.The early VSS had a 'thru' design...On top of the VSS was a connection for a mech speedo cable.A late type vehicle WITHOUT a mech speedo cable,canaccept the early trans as long as the correct VSS is fitted...and vice versa.A late trans can be fitted into say a 95 if you fit the 95 level VSS...real rocket science eh!!!!TH

todras, you need to stop posting info from TH when it is useless. :shrug: striker2 can sign up and post on the www.fordcontour.org if he wants TH's advice. What is posted by TH (especially in bold) does not add anymore to this thread. I don't need to rebuild hundreds of MTXs to know what is posted in bold and I am sure most of the CEGers know that info too.

And to answer striker2, I think the VSS are, in itself, different for the early 1995 compared to 1996 onwards.

Edit. Here is some rocket science from www.teamfordparts.com

vehicle speed sensor, contour, mystique, 2.5l, manual trans.,

to 2/1/95 1995

$35.92Electrical - Powertrain control - vehicle speed sensor

Vehicle speed sensor, contour, mystique, 2.5l, manual trans.,

from 2/1/95 95-00

$29.51Electrical - Powertrain control - vehicle speed sensor

Last edited:
its not gonna be a problem cause i just found out that the one ive been looking at the guy is pretty sure that it was an electronic speedo not cable driven.

Back