• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

soft top???

From what I've heard they call it the /Hoopdy Edition/ and they were made by dealers or aftermarket companies.

Has been discussed before.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...mber=1297009&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

car3.jpg

There fixed

Since this thread has been done for a while, but still manages to hang on, I'll post some useless info!

I was in Casper, Wyoming one day and saw an 80s Buick Century (the FWD one) convertible. THAT THING was ugly! Must have been one of those hack-job non-factory convertibles.
From Wikipedia

"In 1985, some 300 Buick Century Coupes were made into convertibles by Hess & Eisenhardt."

Last edited:
that presidential edition contour would look so tight with some 13" reverse 100 spoke daytons on it! :drool: cruisin the blvd, hittin the switches, mackin to all the fly honies :cool:

"I'm George W. Bush, and I approve of this Presidential Edition Contour" :laugh:

My old Caddy had a wierd one... instead of on the rear bumper, there was a fiberglass piece on top the trunklid that was about 1/4 as thick as a real tire and had a 5th hubcab in the middle of it.

Supposedly a really rare option.

On a 1980-1985 Seville, perhaps? Those were pretty cool.

I just saw one of those soft top Mystiques!

I just saw one of those soft top Mystiques!

I saw a Mystique like the sad case pictured above, today. It was T-red with a tan roof, was once a nice Mystique LS like mine before the trip to the "profit shop"...Our local Mercury dealers like to do up the Montegos and Marquis (no surprise there) to collect the 1000s in profits.

On a 1980-1985 Seville, perhaps? Those were pretty cool.

Close... 81 Coupe Deville... so it wasn't at an angle like the bustleback of the Seville... was smack dab in the center of the trunklid. Probly one of the reasons the gas struts were bad, which damaged the power pulldown mechanism since it was so damn heavy.

Had to use a broom stick to hold that thing up. Broke a long ice scraper/brush once!

Back