• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

soft top???

zorrex

Enjoys the Abuse
tried searching for this, but it was tough to narrow down my search, so sorry if im making a REALLY stupid comment...

with that out of the way, on my way home from school today, i actually saw a contour with a SOFT TOP! it was a '96 or '97 i think , it didnt have that silver strip on the bumper. when i saw this i was absolutely DUMBFOUNDED. i have never seen that before! has anyone else ever heard of this? or was it maybe just some super-lame mod?

It wasn't a SOFT TOP.. It is actually just canvas covered. It wasn't a manufacturer option, but WAS a dealer option at SOME dealers.

It was a solid metal roof inderneath, though, rest assured.

From what I've heard they call it the Presidential Edition and they were made by dealers or aftermarket companies.

Has been discussed before.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...mber=1297009&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

car3.jpg

Last edited:
It wasn't a SOFT TOP.. It is actually just canvas covered. It wasn't a manufacturer option, but WAS a dealer option at SOME dealers.

It was a solid metal roof inderneath, though, rest assured.

DUH IT WASNT ACTUALLY SOFT lol. im not retarded, its just what ive always heard it called:shrug: . but umm, ya it was ugly. and it was a junky city car, it was in horrible shape...it was missing a hubcap and it sounded like a piece :(.

any shop that does convertable tops will do that crap for you too. best is seeing a 2007 camry with it. but blue hairs will put it on any type of vehicle.

well the reason i ask is that lots of little changes were made between the body styles...ya know...lol

About the most significant change Ford made was the front end from 95-97 to the 98-00 and perhaps changing from a rod shift mtx to a cable shift mtx. After that, the changes basically consisted of Ford decontenting everything to cheapen them up. :)

Since this thread has been done for a while, but still manages to hang on, I'll post some useless info!

I was in Casper, Wyoming one day and saw an 80s Buick Century (the FWD one) convertible. THAT THING was ugly! Must have been one of those hack-job non-factory convertibles.

Even though the point is settled, I saw a faded dark red contour/mystique with the canvas top a couple of years back when I was leaving the mall here in town. I was shocked. Always just thought my eyes decieved me since no one else saw it and I hadn't yet learned of this site. Haven't ever seen it again

Last edited:
Back