• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clear MTX Fluid

98SVTC

Hard-core CEG'er
Besides the Ford Honey, what other tranny fluids are the color of motor oil? I finally got the fill plug off and clear fluid that smelt of limited slip additive dribbled out. This fluid has at least 45 - 50K miles on it as I haven't been able to get the fill plug out until now. FWIW, I've always had hard second gear shifts when the MTX is cold. I'm hoping a new fill with Ford honey will fix this.
Karl

Replying to my own post - I'm hoping that what I'm draining out of it isn't the Ford honey because that will mean that the shifting isn't going to get any better than it already is. :cry: The fluid was very clean and probably had the friction modifier in it as it stinks like FM does. It might just be the fluid though. The Ford fluid has a pleasant aroma from what I can tell so either someone added FM to a Ford fluid fill or it wasn't Ford fluid that was in there. I just hope there wasn't any damage caused in the last ~50K miles. :mad:
Karl

I think hard shifts when the MTX-75 is cold is common, happened on my bro's old contour, happens on mine, and happens on his '99 Coog. Have to wrestle with it sometimes to get into first and second. Definitely change your fluid, but I don't think that's your problem.

Not common on my cars. At least not with a good fluid. Mine shifted the same no matter what with the old Mobil 1 and the Synchromax.

My initial road test this morning in weather that usually gave me second gear difficulties for nearly six years yielded practically none. I was pleased to say the least.
Karl

royal purple

royal purple

Well I used the royal purple about 20k miles ago and think I am going to do some mobil one in a month or two, cold outside hard to get in gear. When it's warm she shifts like butter.

You won't completely get rid of the cold shift problem without replacing the 1-2 fork with the revised roller bearing one. Mobil ! with ATF will not fully resolve it. I had better luck with ATF+3 and Ford Honey with 2 oz of friction modifier.

Fluids

Fluids

Well it hasn't given me any problems with the weather being warm. Since I have a lot of fluids laying around from the SVO and Tcoupe I may just put some of the Ford stuff in it.

There was a Ford TSB saying to no longer add FM with LSD's - not sure if it was only if you have a LSD or not..
That's kind of funny because isn't that why FM was created - for LSDs? Having said that, you supposedly don't have to use it with the Ford fluid and I didn't add any but then, I don't have an LSD. OTOH, perhaps the fluid already has enough FM in it.
Karl

The TSB I remember on the topic was that XL-7 was discontinued. XL-3 is still available. XL-7 was blended mainly for synthetic oils and XL-3 was blended mainly for dino oil. XL-3 works great in my car with Ford Honey.

Back