• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Beetle's gone...

Derk-xB

CEG'er
...it's been replaced with a 2003 Audi TT Coupe, 225hp, Quattro, 6-spd. :crazy:
Dolomite Gray exterior, black leather interior. :) Bose stereo, Xenon lights, 18" wheels (I woulda been happy w/ the 17").
42K on the clock, Certified, so it's got 2 more years or up to 100,000K of warranty.
I'll happily share the TT w/ Ashley :laugh: , especially since she's going to miss the Beetle (and she's not crazy about the xB). That, and taking the dog out on a muddy trail run is a job best left for the xB and I. :)

Pics coming tomorrow.:cool:

77293965.jpg

Sorry...blurry pic. Just started raining, so I was in a rush.

More (better) pics:
Here

Oregon's been treating me well. It starting to feel like spring, but we're still getting quite a bit of showers. It's not the rain I mind, it's the temperature...I want it to be 5 or 10 degrees warmer right now!
We've got a bunch of camping trips planned for the summer, and there are so many trails within a 15-25min drive that it's almost overwhelming!

As much as I don't like the reliablilty factor of the Audi's when I graduate I've been thinking about going with an A4 1.8t.
I know exactly how you feel. Things like the diverter valve, the instrument cluster (lighting?), and some gasket - all common things to go bad. (Supposedly the '03 diverter valve is supposed to be more durable, and once the instrument cluster is replaced with an updated cluster, it doesn't fail again. Not sure which year is affected most commonly, or if the '03 is succeptable).

I wouldn't have bought the car unless it was certified. $50 for warranty work + a car to drive while mine's being repaired? In my mind, that's worth the extra ~$2k for a Certified Audi.

I don't plan on modding much. Suspension is great, wheels are great. IMO, the looks are great, too! I don't really care for the intakes available - they seem to be hot air suckers (though I do admit that I'd like to hear a little more whooosh :D), and I can't see myself going for a "chip." The exhaust, however, is pretty terrible :help: it's darn near FLAT at one point - I guess Audi didn't want it hanging too low and scraping. :shrug: Do you know much about these cars, Austin?

Very nice choice Derek!

You know, I have a few sources for stainless and mild steel exhaust tubing in oval shape. I was going to make my downpipe out of it for ground clearance issues on my CSVT. They also have transitions from round to oval in many sizes so you can adapt to standard mufflers and fittings that have to stay round, or you can pay out the wazoo for a oval muffler.
Any aftermarket kits that solve these clearance issues and improve flow?

Getting a bit of tuning done would lean up the AFR and make it burn cleaner.... get better MPG and of course you'd get much better performance
emot-fappery.gif
Good times for all to be had.

Last edited:
I'll say this with caution this time, as my friend's wife now thinks we need to be shaperoned (sp?) when we hang out. He now has an '01 S10 quad cab for a DD and a '59 Impala.

You might want to get a nice, dependable DD and a toy for the garage and weekends rather than killing two birds with one... TBSS.

Any aftermarket kits that solve these clearance issues and improve flow?
Well, the Milltek exhaust doesn't quite do it...
new_tt100_res_640.jpg

But it looks like the Borla system doesn't care about clearance
14957_med.jpg

Yeah, there's no arguing that tuning can yield a big bump in hp (saw a dyno for the GAIC? tune that bumped 21hp at all 4 wheels...not too shabby!) Good point on the increased mpg, btw. That's a good selling point for the wife. :D

I think it might need a rockblocker (clear bra) and some light tint first. That, and some free way to make the turbo a bit more audible. :D

Last edited:
Derek, I don't know too much about the cars except that mods are next to impossible to come by, unless you check out like the German ebay. I know that from my Audi that they like to keep everything out of sight, explaining about the exhaust being flat. One of my dad's customer's used to have a TT but got rid of it, I'll ask him next time I see him about performance stuff, he's a big car nut(Audi S8, Porshe Cayenne, Porshe Carerra 4).

But the one thing that I LOVE about these cars is the torque on the highway and just how nice they ride at highway speeds. The Germans defiantly know what they are doing when it comes to the comfort factor!

...the torque on the highway and just how nice they ride at highway speeds. The Germans defiantly know what they are doing when it comes to the comfort factor!
Heck yeah. Even in 6th gear, 65mph, 2800rpm (ish)...it gets right up and goes. And it feels so solid and smooth on the highway. :drool:
Ashley gets to drive it today. :)

I set up an appt. to get a clear bra in 2 weeks. I'm going to see if I can get tint done at the same time.
I just took all the plastic shielding out of the engine bay. Well, almost all. I left the part that says "Audi 5V Turbo" 'cause I like the way it looks. :) There's also a piece on the airbox that looks like I'd have to ?cut? to get off (makes me wonder how they put it on?) so I left it on for now. I'll keep peering in the engine bay to see if I want it there or if I really want it gone.
I've really been enjoying the car. After long days I'll take Hwy 30 on the way home (it paralells I-84) and drive some twisties...oh so fun! :laugh:

Back