• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Warmonger Big Brake kit installed

rkneeshaw

CEG'er
Well the front so far. Which I guess is nothing too new since a lot of folks have installed the FSVT front rotors before. But I'm very pleased so far. Installation wasn't half bad.

I remember I heard a few people complaining of "grinding" noises after the install and I too experienced this briefly. But it was gone after about half-way through my bedding procedure (http://brakepads.wilwood.com/03-tech/index.html). I contribute the grinding noise to re-using my existing pads with the new gas-grooved rotors I installed. I did use 60 grit sandpaper to rough up the surface of my used pads but once the bedding procedure was complete I have even wear marks across my rotor surface and the grinding is gone and stops are smooth and strong.

I thought it was weird that my drivers side bolted up great and all clearances where great. But when I did the passenger side I had to grind a bit of material off the OEM bracket because when the rotor was fully seated it was heavily favoring the outside of the OEM bracket and barely touching. Yet with the drivers side the rotor straddled right down the middle of the OEM bracket and no grinding was required. Just kind of weird.

Another funny thing I noticed was that during a few hard 60-15mph stops (end of the bedding procedure) that it seemed as though my rears were almost locking up halfway through the stop. Maybe it was just gravel on the road, but I was also thinking that maybe with the greater braking power up front now that its causing even more weight transfer and making the rear even lighter, which makes it easier to lock em up in the rear. I'll see if it makes a difference when I complete the job by installing the larger CSVT front rotors on the rears. :cool:

I've got the rears done, this thing is now complete. And let me just say, I LIKEY!

All issues I might have had before are gone and the car brakes hard and smoooooooth.

I'll snap some pics tomorrow after I give her a clean up

pics as promised:

before.jpg

after.jpg

DSCN1066.JPG

DSCN1067.JPG

Another before:

morebefore.JPG

And after:

DSCN1068.JPG

DSCN1074.JPG

DSCN1076.JPG

It was hard to get good pics because the light wasn't great today, too bright out, but these will have to do. I'll cross post this over in the GB thread too, I'm sure those guys would probably be interested.

Last edited:
I know this will sound wierd, but I'm really digging the new position of the caliper. For some reason its real appealing to my eye to see it higher up on the rotor like that. But of course, I'm most happy with how well it stops the car

First glance

First glance

At first look I didn't even realize it is a pre 98 car. Then I looked at the headlights, looks pretty good overall. As well those brakes do look good, I thought BAT used to sell a wilwood setup as well must be discontinued. Those look to be a good alternative.

Looks good. I still need to do my rear [brakes]

So do I, got the fronts finished today though. Even took it for a quick test drive I didn't exactly stomp on them cuz I have a lot of crap in my trunk I just wanted to take it for a spin to make sure everything was in working order. And of course, I have a pic :) Don't mean to steal the thread but I don't feel the need for starting a new one either.

300mmFrontRotor.JPG

WOW...that looks awesome! i wish i had the cash to do that upgrade!

Thanks :) My setup is the Goodridge SS brake lines, Brand new OEM FSVT rotors from Steve at Tousley, and Bendix Titanium pads from my work. I also have Bendix organic pads for the back when I get to putting them on.

wow you guys, these cars all look great! It's nice to see people able to install the kits without too much difficulty either. It worried me that many people left their rear kits off because they were afraid of the install when really it isn't hard but just takes some time.
I can tell you I was quite proud to see all the kits that were installed on cars at spring zing too.

Back