• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CSVT Gas Gas Mileage

Anybody worrying about your contour not getting good gas mileage, never buy a rx7. Mine has like a 18 gallon tank and the svt will still go further on a fill up. And my rx7 would be lucky to run in the 16s in the 1/4. Not sure the exact mileage my svt will go but it was pretty good on trips considering how I drive. I gotta fix some things and it'll be good again.

I averaged 21mpg on my 87 RX-7 on road trips. I usually drove over 100mph with trip averages in the 80mph range. I drove 1400 miles to florida on a motor with a cracked corner seal and saw 21mpg. Oh and it also had 276K miles at the time. Now has a rebuilt motor and has over 300k miles and is a track only car.

I usually averaged 15-18mpg in the city depending on how heavy my foot was.

My SVT averages almost 22mpg combined. Still stock everything with 120k miles.

The tank is 16.6 gallons, I had that wrong. Still gets less than 15mpg highway or city. Though it's only been on one trip (bringing it home). I probably could get 17mpg highway out of it if I drove nicer.

My owners manual lists my 00 SVT tank at 15.4 gallons and I'm getting 26-28mpg on the highway and 16-18mpg city, those numbers are all with me driving like a sane individual and the numbers are considerably lower when you turn up the fun factor. Keeping clean air and fuel filters, fresh engine and trans oil are all factors when trying to get those extra few mpgs'. At one time I was getting 18-20mpg highway

No I drive an SVT. I just don't drive like an a$$.

Well I can't help but get some WOT in every once in awhile, but probably 90% of my driving is "in town" and I feel good if I get 230 miles in before the gas light comes on at about a 8th of a tank... any specific reason why I don't get better gas mileage even though I have new plugs/wires, new fuel filter, run premium gas, with only an intake/exhaust set-up for mods performance wise and have 98k miles?

I try to get into 5th gear as quickly as possible. Also I take my foot off the gass much earlier at red lights, and stop signs. With mostly in town driving I see about 260-270 miles before the light comes on. Its rough on gas to hit WOT in city driving, and then slow down to a stop. It eats a lot of gas. I usually only use WOT when Im entering the freeway. Then I get to a little over 60 and then get to 5th and cruise at about 75 mph. I find that's about where I get the best highway mileage.

I typically get 25-26 miles to the gallon.

I have around town and highway.

I just got 325 miles to a tank a week ago....i almost crapped my pants.

Strange. I consistently get 350-375 miles on the highway. 29-31 mpg highway, and usually around 22 city. I'm usually in 5th gear by 30 mph, so maybe that has something to do with it. Granted, I'm driving an SE, not an SVT. But from an everyday driving standpoint, the few extra h.p. the SVT has shouldn't make THAT big a difference. If I drive really hard, my mileage might drop to 17 mpg or so city.

By comparison, my ATX Zetec is only getting about 16 mpg city. I don't know if it has to do with a bad head gasket or if there is something more sinister going on. I'll know more once I change the gasket next weekend.

Strange. I consistently get 350-375 miles on the highway. 29-31 mpg highway, and usually around 22 city. I'm usually in 5th gear by 30 mph, so maybe that has something to do with it. Granted, I'm driving an SE, not an SVT. But from an everyday driving standpoint, the few extra h.p. the SVT has shouldn't make THAT big a difference. If I drive really hard, my mileage might drop to 17 mpg or so city.

By comparison, my ATX Zetec is only getting about 16 mpg city. I don't know if it has to do with a bad head gasket or if there is something more sinister going on. I'll know more once I change the gasket next weekend.

eww that makes me kind of nervous. however, im from massachusetts and we drive rather ridiculous around here, so that probably has a lot to do with it :crazy: . cuz usually i get 20-28. *sigh*

I haven't performed the calculations, but my gas mileage has been poor with the SVT. I don't commute, so all of my driving is city/suburban driving. When I get some space on the road, I can't help but to drive her hard.

98 E0 CSVT, 136K miles on original engine.

Average 22 city/28 highway.

Pretty much put around in town but keep it in the upper RPM band sometimes.

Average 75mph on the highway.

Bob

29MPG if 100% highway at 75-80MPH... equates to about 325mi. max. range

21-22 MPG with mix of around town and highway

'98 SVT with 125K

Average 22-25 on the SVT mostly highway at 75 mph and a LOT of WOT. Worst I've seen 21 mpg best 27 mpg

Mercury Auto Zetec. Averages 22-27 depending on how much the engine feels like running rich once again mostly highway at 75 mph. Not as much WOT but sometimes it needs it to enter some of these really short on ramps.
Worst MPG 18 best 28 MPG

Today I filled up with 283.8 miles on the tank. I drive about 90% freeway and 10% town/rush hour. I do my ocasional bad drive, launching at intersections, hitting 100+ mph passing some asshat and other stuff. I have a 3.0 with stock exhaust and intake. On the dyno my A/F ratio bottoms out immediatly; my car runs waaaay rich. I got about 25mpg on that tank of mid-grade; with a tune I'm sure I would be a bit closer to getting 30.

(I tried getting my car tuned, but my J-port is turned off so it wouldn't take a chip)

Back