• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Loud screeching noise when starting.

lunatic

CEG'er
I have a 1999 Contour SE with the duratec. It has 110K on the clock. I noticed that recently when I go to turn the key over, it makes a loud, obnoxious, screeching noise. It did it a few days ago and I didn't think anything of it. Today, it did it 3 times in a row before it finally started. What is this problem and how do I fix it?

Thanks

Like the sound it'll make when the starter has already engaged the flywheel? I would bet the starter engaging (or perhaps not engaging?) the flywheel is the problem.

Like the sound it'll make when the starter has already engaged the flywheel? I would bet the starter engaging (or perhaps not engaging?) the flywheel is the problem.
What do I need to do or buy to fix the problem? Is it an easy repair? If it's not an easy repair, about how much would most shops charge to fix it?

Just an edit, my car is an automatic in case that makes a difference on how to replace the starter.

Last edited:
I have a 1999 Contour SE with the duratec. It has 110K on the clock. I noticed that recently when I go to turn the key over, it makes a loud, obnoxious, screeching noise. It did it a few days ago and I didn't think anything of it. Today, it did it 3 times in a row before it finally started. What is this problem and how do I fix it?

Thanks

kinda sounds like a loose belt, although i've never heard it on my car.

i have the same problem and it is 100% not belt related. its coming from the drivers side of the engine, 3 of my buddys think its the starter and or its gears slipping.

well thats where the starter is so. lunatic: if its comming from the drivers side, just remove the starter and have it tested as well as inspect the gear. do some probing before you spend money.

well thats where the starter is so. lunatic: if its comming from the drivers side, just remove the starter and have it tested as well as inspect the gear. do some probing before you spend money.

This is what I want to do but can someone please tell me where the heck the starter is located? I had the air box and air intake removed and I can't find it anywhere. I have the haynes auto repair manual and I still can't find the starter on my car.

Thanks.

This is what I want to do but can someone please tell me where the heck the starter is located? I had the air box and air intake removed and I can't find it anywhere. I have the haynes auto repair manual and I still can't find the starter on my car.

Thanks.

if you look below the throttle body, then look to the far right you will see a golden(maybe a different color) cylinder going length wise of the firewall. also there is a big battery cable going to it. that would be your starter. another way to find it is look below the throttle cable bracket. its a little bit down there. above and to the right of the trans.

if you look below the throttle body, then look to the far right you will see a golden(maybe a different color) cylinder going length wise of the firewall. also there is a big battery cable going to it. that would be your starter. another way to find it is look below the throttle cable bracket. its a little bit down there. above and to the right of the trans.

Is it a PITA to remove this? About how long? Do I remove it from under the hood, or from under the car itself (car being jacked up or on ramps of course) What all needs to be removed/disconnected to get to the starter?

Thanks.

Thanks.

:help: :laugh:

Sorry but lol at that one. Think about it, it has to engage the flywheel, so its obviously got to be somewhere around the front of the trans and the back of the engine.

Look under there and when you see it figure out how to get it out.

Is it a PITA to remove this? About how long? Do I remove it from under the hood, or from under the car itself (car being jacked up or on ramps of course) What all needs to be removed/disconnected to get to the starter?

Thanks.

i have never done one on a contour but it dose not look to bad for me. just take a look at it and figure out your best approach. get in there with a flash light. find the bolts and such and go for it. you will learn along the way. and thats the best way to learn.

To single out the starter, try starting it and as soon as you hear the screetching, turn off the key and see if you can hear/feel the starter still trying to turn the engine over. This happened on my '95 where the starter would not disengage occasionally and after turning the key back off, the starter would STILL try to start the car for a second. I once had to put the tranny in gear and pop the clutch to jar the flywheel enough that the starter gear would back off.

edit:

Didn't realize this noise was PRIOR to start-up. Definitely starter.

It is the starter. My new remanufactured one makes that noise already after 2 years, my brothers original 100k one makes that noise, my original '95 one with 200k miles made that noise for 8 years, etc..... Replacing might get rid of the noise for a little while but I suspect your replacement one will do the same in no time.

The starter is mounted on the trans and the best way to get it off is with a 13mm ratcheting wrench. Shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes.

If or when you do get that starter out of there, make sure and peek in and inspect the teeth on the flywheel. Its very possible that you have a spot or two that is chewed up. I can post a pic here of how mine looked on the Mystique(auto)if someone wishes.

EDIT: Just realizing this is an old thread...

Back